IGNORED

Handbrake Cable Hanger Rubber Grommets

ea6driver

I'm looking to replace the original rubber "grommets" that encircled the handbrake cable where the handbrake cable runs through the rubber "hangers".  I've attached a couple of photos to help show the rubber part I'm looking for.  Anybody have any good ideas on a replacement part for this?

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

Edited by ea6driver

Thanks for that idea.  Just to be clear, the rubber part I'm trying to replace is not the rectangular piece.  It's the cylindrical piece that runs through the hole in the rectangular piece.   This piece is only a couple inches long and slides over the actual handbrake cable.  I'm thinking it's there to prevent the cable from sliding fore/aft in the rectangular hanger hole.

Gottcha, you could make something that would do the same job out of a couple pieces of heater hose cut down the length so they can slip over the cable tubing and then a hose clamp on either side to keep it in place, not pretty but would work while you hunt for the real thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the suggestion.  I think I'm going to just have to keep this rubber grommet piece in mind as I continue the restoration/reassembly process.  Apparently it's not really a very important part.  Hopefully one day in the not too distant future I'll run across the perfect substitute part while looking through an auto parts or hardware store. Sometimes you just have to use a little ingenuity/creativity when looking for replacement parts on a 40+ year old car.