IGNORED

Fuel issues????

Fox280ZX

Hey guys so I bought this 83 Zx I'm trying to fix so I cant figure it out I check the filter and the pump turns on so know it's not that any clue what is causing it to not start 

Ps I did get it to start on aerosol and it ran for a good 10 minutes after I took the rag off 

2 hours ago, Fox280ZX said:

so I bought this 83 Zx

the pump turns on so know it's not that

Ps I did get it to start on aerosol and it ran for a good 10 minutes after I took the rag off 

What does "take the rag off" mean?  What happened when you tried to start it again after it ran for 10 minutes?  Does it restart with "aerosol"?

Seems like you almost have the problem solved already.  You need to supply a lot more details, like if the car was supposed to run when you got it, or if it sat for a long time.

So basically to test a car with aerosol u soak a rag in it and put it where the airfiter goes so I started it with that and it ran for 10 minutes I shut it off and it started 2 more times before it started not starting again 

Supposedly it was an ignition pack or distributor but that fact that it started and stayed running debunked that so I'm lost

Would the injectors cause it to do this ??? Its gets fuel thru the fuel filter fine 

18 minutes ago, Fox280ZX said:

to test a car with aerosol u soak a rag in it and put it where the airfiter goes 

What's on the rag?  Gasoline?  "Aerosol" means it's in the air.  Weird that somebody chose "soaked rag" to mean aerosol.  You're describing some sort of procedure but the words don't fit.  No offense.  There's no "ignition pack" on a ZX.

Did it run for 10 minutes after you took the rag off or did it run for ten minutes with the rag on, then died when you took the rag off?

Still no details on how long you've had the car, and if it ran before you got it.  Might just be that there's very old gasoline in the tank.  Old gas causes problems.

Sounds like dried up fuel in your injectors.. pull the injector(s) and clean with carb cleaner or other solvent.. after a long sit, the injectors stay closed.. test them with a 9 volt battery  (small type you find in a fire detector or so) NOT with the car battery  YOU'LL SMOKE THEM...  

You can also take e'm all out and (try to)start the car, i think they won't fire any fuel.. (put the injectors in a glas)  Also now you can renew those old most times fully deteriorated seals..

Mart

Thx I'll give it a go 

And to zedhead aerosol might be the wrong word I cant remember exactly what it's called it's a something you use on a car right before painting it evaporates super fast mabey that'll help 

7 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Did it run for 10 minutes after you took the rag off or did it run for ten minutes with the rag on, then died when you took the rag off?

Still no details on how long you've had the car, and if it ran before you got it.  Might just be that there's very old gasoline in the tank.  Old gas causes problems.

Your problem is pretty common and probably easy to solve.  But you'll have to give more details if you want more specific ideas.  On the other hand, it is fun to test all of the many possible causes.  Fuel pump, fuel filter, gas quality, injectors, ECU signal wire from coil, vacuum leaks, EGR system, relays, etc.  A lot of high quality garage time there.  Good luck.