IGNORED

1972 240Z Brake upgrades.

hazmat257

Hi Guys,  I have a 72' 240Z that I want to restore.  I have a question regarding a bigger brake upgrade. I have seen some assembly that doesn't use caliper line transfer. can I just put a longer flexible brake instead? without using the S shape transfer line? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you

To me....the stock rubber hose follows a nice unencumbered path. I don't think I would be comfortable with the rubber hose following the winding path of the S line.

Plus, you would need to find a longer male / female rubber hose or use adapter / coupling fitting.

Hope I am understanding what you are asking. 

Edited by jonathanrussell

My "big brake" kit from Silvermine Motors came with longer braided, DOT approved brake lines. I replaced the "s-curve" hard lines and the rubber lines which were 46 years old. The new lines work perfectly and don't bind, or rub on anything. The brake kit also works perfectly and I did not replace the stock M/C with a larger one. Hope this answers your question.

Cheers, Mike

3 hours ago, Pop's Z said:

My "big brake" kit from Silvermine Motors came with longer braided, DOT approved brake lines. I replaced the "s-curve" hard lines and the rubber lines which were 46 years old. The new lines work perfectly and don't bind, or rub on anything. The brake kit also works perfectly and I did not replace the stock M/C with a larger one. Hope this answers your question.

Cheers, Mike

And what is the braking like compared to what you did have?

Well Granny, this is subjective, but my 46 year old front calipers and discs were grabby and really squeally even after a a rebuild and turning of the rotors (also the rotors had reached the end of their useful life). The new "big brake kit" from Silvermine using Toyota calipers and non-vented rotors was not grabby or squeally. My pedal depressed about a half inch further to the floor, but was firm. The brakes themselves seemed to work better. I pushed them a bit on some twistys and there was no fade or big heat buildup. I could come into the corners at a greater speed and they would haul the car down quickly with no fuss unlike the original system which could get quite exciting grabbing. I think they were an improvement, but that  was butt-dyno stuff, so like I said it's subjective. When comparing prices the "big brake kit" was not that much more than stock and came as a complete package. I am very happy with it.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1