IGNORED

Do NOT buy a 123ignition distributor.

Rill Cosby

On 5/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, Rill Cosby said:

Then why are you even here?

I think Zed Head /  Rill Cosby have valuable points to contribute. Hopefully, that’s why they’re here.  We can have different opinions about the same product.  And different experiences.  IMHO- The OP should have torn down the engine to determine why it failed, before blaming the 123ign unit.  Send it back & ask for a refund? Of course, if they offer one and he is unhappy.  But I suspect there’s nothing actually wrong with it.  

To just post a rant saying a unit is crap (without any evidence) is negative.  My point is:  If The OP can’t be bothered to investigate the problem fully, he can’t just say ‘don’t buy this product’. Better would be ‘I had a bad experience, and this is what I discovered when I dug deeper’.

Edited by Firepower

On 5/22/2019 at 9:46 PM, Rill Cosby said:

Okay, moving forward. I recently installed a 260z 123ignition programmable bluetooth distributor.

I made a post a week or so ago that I was hearing noises under the hood which was confirmed to be the water pump. I documented healthy compression and no damage to rod bearings at that time.

After installation is complete the car starts up no problem once timing is set.

I take the car for a drive. Mapped out it was only an 8 minute drive. Within that small time frame, my cruising speed was cut prematurely by the smell of smoke. As I pulled over the engine was struggling to run. The app at this point was telling me there was no vacuum advance. Luckily I wasn't far from home and made it back.

He apparently, according to the words on the page, installed the 123 directly after having the engine apart.  Must have had the oil pan off to check the rod bearings,  and must have changed the water pump. So a fair bit of disassembly.  Put it all back together, installed the 123, and cranked it up.   Then smelled smoke on the drive and the engine was struggling to run.

That sounds like overheating to me.  Breaking the rings on a single cylinder will cause the engine to run rougher but it will just keep going easily on 5 cylinders.  Might burn some oil but it will probably run okay, on 5 cylinders.  Seems like he did a repair and an "upgrade" at the same time, had a problem and blamed the upgrade.  But it might have been the repair.  Overheating can lead to detonation.  I wonder if he got it fixed and realized the true cause.  Who knows.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have decided to install a 123 on my 260z this thread has contributed to my decision, as I am highly curious of an upgrade potential: and adding complexity to the car doesn't deter me. My 280zx non-t dizzy upgrade was installed by PO many yrs ago with a reman unit, has failed. I would like to tune my engine with the app, and see the results. I will update when I can.

Edited by youztheclue
  • Like 1

I have decided to install a 123 on my 260z this thread has contributed to my decision, as I am highly curious of an upgrade potential: and adding complexity to the car doesn't deter me. My 280zx non-t dizzy upgrade was installed by PO many yrs ago with a reman unit, has failed. I would like to tune my engine with the app, and see the results. I will update when I can.

You’ll enjoy the flexibility and the ability to immobilise yourself z via Bluetooth ! Much like removing the rotor in the old days!

Just triple check the HT lead positions on the cap before starting up for the first time to avoid this ....

99f6e493a3c421955cf39d759c996691.jpg

.... baaaada boom!!!

Woooo!!!! what the h happened? did it back fire so hard it blow your engine?

The no.1 on the cap did not correspond with the position of the rotor. I didn’t check, I just trusted!! So when I put the leads back on the timing was somewhere between 270-290 degrees BTDC. She was struggling to start, so I gave her full choke, full throttle and ....... booooom!

The charge was compressed (read heated) but not lit, the exhaust valve opened and as the charge was being pushed out, it got a spark!!!! As it hit the muffler expansion area, it found even more oxygen.

4 neighbours rushed out to check if I was OK, promptly followed by my wife rushing out of the house to tell me off for making too much noise! Now that’s the essence of true love and a solid marriage.

I discovered weeks later that neighbours down the road, whom weren’t aware of my car antics, were still debating who had set off a shot gun in the road! :D

Ps. The engine was just fine and if you saw my recent exhaust muffler test videos you can see she’s still singing lovely 5 years later! ;)
  • Haha 2