IGNORED

L6 Engine Calculator

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it's accurate or not. It was sent to me by one of the members. I can't remember who it was at this time.

Yes, it would be good to know if it's accurate. I don't think it was put together for fun.. It's meant to be something for actual engine work.

Hopefully the person who wrote it will visit the site and let us know about it.

It was written by Walter Fath from the Sydney Z-Car Club. I obtained a copy from him August 1998, before it was publicly available & it is my understanding that it's on the money as far as accuracy is concerned.

Bear in mind that you can select invalid combinations (KA24E pistons, L20A rods & L24 block for example) & get very interesting results. Even when using 'wrong' selections, you can still use them as a baseline for pin height, rod length, etc.

I expect Walter is still on the IZCC mailing list, but it's been a while since I've heard from him.

Ben

Adelaide,

South Australia

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by Mike

Here is a very cool L6 engine calculator.

this is a very good program, the programmer must be very good. hopefully whoever the person is, will modify it a little bit to show if a certain combination is not possible. so a less knowledgeable car enthusiast like me will be warned. totally it is a very neat program.

from this program i saw a good combination:

an F54(L28) flat top using L24 rods and 2 mmm gasket gives a 10.19:1 compression. can an L24 rods be use on an L28 block without modification? can a 10.19:1 compression use a regular pumped gas without pinging?

hf240z,

This combo won't work because the pistons will be above the block @ TDC by 2.73mm. If you use the L24 crank the deck height will be right but capacity drops back to a 2.6 litre.

Always check the deck height when using this calculator, you don't want to be too high or too low with piston deck height.

I just ripped open an L28 with flat tops, P90 head & L24 crank that someone had put together some time ago. Now even if this combo engine had a turbo hanging off the side of it, the compression @ 6.6:1 would still be a little low.

Nick.

Originally posted by nixcars

hf240z,

This combo won't work because the pistons will be above the block @ TDC by 2.73mm. If you use the L24 crank the deck height will be right but capacity drops back to a 2.6 litre.

Always check the deck height when using this calculator, you don't want to be too high or too low with piston deck height.

I just ripped open an L28 with flat tops, P90 head & L24 crank that someone had put together some time ago. Now even if this combo engine had a turbo hanging off the side of it, the compression @ 6.6:1 would still be a little low.

Nick.

so is it not possible too if i use a domed piston on an L28 block to increase the compression?

its an L28 crank with L 14 rods and KA24e pistons with a P90 head, combustion chamber 46cc. problem is the block has been decked so putting those specs in the engine calculator wont be accurate. i know for sure that my pistons clear the block im just not sure how much(from memory 2mm is what it was) this was visible when we rebuilt the engine.

Originally posted by Brett240

its an L28 crank with L 14 rods and KA24e pistons with a P90 head, combustion chamber 46cc. problem is the block has been decked so putting those specs in the engine calculator wont be accurate. i know for sure that my pistons clear the block im just not sure how much(from memory 2mm is what it was) this was visible when we rebuilt the engine.

hi,

what car has L14 and what car has KA24e. how much compression does this combination make? i am just trying to avoid cutting the head and shimming the cam tower.