IGNORED

gas tank vent line question

jvandyke

After last top off gas leak from hose #7 here: https://zcarsource.com/gas-diag.  Currently this hose make a big loop down before heading back up, I'm questioning that is correct.  I'm replacing the hose tonight and am wondering if it were installed wrong in the past, diagram looks like a fairly level shot.  In our case filling up to the point the filler neck has gas in it must also fill this vent line, it started seeping out.  I'm thinking of redoing with a more level hose.  Wondering what is "correct".

BTW, anyone know the ID of this hose?

Edited by jvandyke

You're the guy with the V8 car over on Hybridz, right?  No biggy, just saw the name.

Is the tank still there?  The system should be leak-free everywhere, in all of the lines.  In operation, sometimes it sees slight pressure, sometimes it sees slight vacuum.  There's a releive vlave in the gas cap and a check valve in the vent line to the charcoal canister.  Wouldn't be a surprise if your charcoal canister is gone also.

yep, that's me, tank is there, I just drained in prep for gas supply line refresh (it was a tad weepy too), debating dropping the whole thing to redo the vent hose, don't really want to open a can of worms though, I will crawl in the car to see if the charcoal canister is still there, could just splice in a new section of vent hose and route it higher up so it never sees actual fuel and call it day

Also debating ditching the Carter pump for an Airtex that's tons quieter but only rated to 30gph, no idea if that's enough to supply the ZZ4 under a heavy foot, that's a question for the other board....

Edited by jvandyke

52 minutes ago, jvandyke said:

Also debating ditching the Carter pump for an Airtex that's tons quieter but only rated to 30gph, no idea if that's enough to supply the ZZ4 under a heavy foot, that's a question for the other board....

There are calculators out there.

http://blog.cantonracingproducts.com/blog/how_to_estimate_your_engines_fuel_flow

Okay, so the car is actually my son's and he told me to leave the pump alone he doesn't mind the buzz so dad backed off on that.

The vent line I just cut out the bad spot and spliced it back together for now.  Might go after it all at once down the road but not until I have parts all ready to go.  Down time sucks.  Car must be run every day or life just isn't the same.

BTW it's carb'd