IGNORED

Spring trip to Japan

Mike

Hey Mike, were going in August. Also heading to Kyoto of many places I’m told.  Curious, how much  you were able to charge versus needing cash?

There were a lot of places that require cash. But the larger businesses will take credit card. So, it’s pretty much a blend of 50/50, if I was to summarize. There’s no problem finding ATM machines around the cities. I always went to 7-11 as it’s a huge chain in Japan. The 7-11’s are also a lot nicer and have better food (compared to the US). By the way, make sure you try the egg salad sandwich and strawberry sandwich before you leave. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Well it took me some time to get to it, but, here's a small write up from our visit to Japan this year.

Schedule:

• Tokyo - 4 days
  • Hakoke - 3 days
  • Kyoto / Nara - 4 days
  • Tokyo - 3 days

Tokyo:

Screenshot 2019-09-06 10.51.17.png

We immediately went to the hotel after our long flight.  We took a local train (not the express for some reason) from Narita to the Shinjuku district.  It was a longer train ride because it stopped at many of the local stops.  Next time I'll take the express airport train.  Took a few photos outside the station and checked in.  We stayed at a nice Japanese hotel (not a big chain) located just outside the main tourist areas.  The walk was fun and we got to see a nice park along the way.

The next few days we spent roaming around Tokyo, taking photos, visiting temples, and looking at all the cherry blossoms. 

IMG_5438.jpg

We also visited a museum where they had the Thinker and Gates of Hell on display outside.  It was interesting because I've also seen these in Paris.  It was a great cultural experience for my 10yo son.

IMG_5441.jpgIMG_5449.jpg  

IMG_5422.jpg

Japan was definitely crowded this time of year, I think everyone wants to come and see the blossoms in full bloom.  Many of the Japanese ladies liked to wear Kimono's as they walked around for the day.  I loved it..

IMG_5478.jpg

We also took a tourist boat down the river and visited a very well manicured park with old trees and gorgeous blooms!

IMG_5525.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5563.jpg

Later on we went shopping, ate a lot of food, and met up with other friends from Seattle.  We were fortunate to run into two other families from our hometown during their visit at the same time we were in the area.  We were able to traverse across multiple towns using the awesome train systems.  Every train we rode on was ON TIME (a far cry from any train system I've used in the US).

IMG_2498.jpeg

• Like 1

Hakone:

Screenshot 2019-09-06 11.14.52.png

We then moved via train from Tokyo to Hakone.  Hakone is a great little town located just outside Mt Fuji.  This leg of our trip was definitely challenging because it took us on small trains into the mountain just to the SouthEast of the big mountain.

We stayed at a resort where we were treated like royalty.  The dining room was full of buffet-style Japanese foods and we were required to wear our own Kimonos to each meal.

IMG_2576.jpeg

In order to get around Hakone, you typically take the cable cars.  We visited a natural sulfur spring where they made 'black-eggs' in the hot mountain water.  This water was also piped down to the hotels in the area for bathing.  You can see the views of Mt Fuji were amazing that day.

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_2611.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

During this visit, we also took a ride on a rather cheesy pirate ship on Lake Ashi.

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

A little chilly due to the elevation though.  It ended up snowing the following day...  Our travel day ...   yikes!

IMG_2894.jpg