IGNORED

240z lowering springs on 280z

Hey, 

I took the big bumpers off of my 78 280z recently and replaced them with the 240z bumpers on the front and back, but now my ride height is super high, probably around 3 inches of wheel gap. 

Would it be possible to buy those MSA lowering springs for the 240z and put them on? The 280z ones advertise a drop of 1 inch but I am looking for more like 2 inches. However I dont want to buy coil overs for they are very expensive and I dont want to cut springs if I don’t have to. Since the 240 is so much lighter I think that the 280z which is still a bit heavier with the bumpers off, so it will weight those down a bit more. Any consequences of doing this? 

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic20c01/23-4041

1 hour ago, Pmg said:

I'd get the lowering springs for the 280 and use 240 rear strut insulators. If the drop isn't enough you could also slice of 0.25" off the insulator.

Would in use the isolators from the rear of the 240z in the front and back of my 280? Also how much drop would this give me?

Edit: can someone tell me where to buy those? Can’t find them online. 

Edited by Pochie45566

1 hour ago, S30Driver said:

Pmg's advice is correct.  The 240 shorter isolators on the rear provide the right stance.  I use them on my lowered car with 240 bumpers,  no issues.

They are available from ZcarDepot , oem or aftermarket.

Wait so let me confirm, use the 240z isolators in the front and rear? How do I lower the front then? Because the the front isolator looks to be the same for the two. 

Will you post a picture of your stance?

Edited by Pochie45566

The 240 and 280 front isolators are identical.  the difference is the rear, 280's are higher, 1" or more.

The lowering springs take car of the front.  I have 16" wheels with 205 55 Dunlops,  around 3/4" gap to top of fenders.  Choose tire size with care....

I will look for a better side pix to post.    Orange car is my lowered 77.

Me&Zup.JPG

Edited by S30Driver
spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

The 240 and 280 front isolators are identical.  the difference is the rear, 280's are higher, 1" or more.

The lowering springs take car of the front.  I have 16" wheels with 205 55 Dunlops,  around 3/4" gap to top of fenders.  Choose tire size with care....

I will look for a better side pix to post.    Orange car is my lowered 77.

Me&Zup.JPG

Oh cool! Your z looks phenomenal! 

So just eibach lowering springs and 240 isolators in the rear. That’s interesting that the front doesn’t need any change. Would you say your stance is pretty level? 

If I needed to make any adjustments would it be better to cut the isolator or cut the spring? 

Edited by Pochie45566

I would not do any cutting on the front, and definitely not modifying the isolators.  My car has Eibach's & Illumina's all around.

Triple check on installation you have the correct springs on the front.  Many have done this job twice,  lol...

Here is a side shot with my 15" cold weather, off season setup ....

Church CS 2018.jpg