IGNORED

Bolt-in LED headlights?

chaseincats

What do you mean by modify/lengthen?

There are lots of 7 inch LED headlights on the market. Thank the Jeep enthusiasts. The stock retaining rings will have an issue with the cooling fins on some of those headlights. I found that replacement retaining rings can work around that issue.

The biggest problem is that the S30 switches the ground to go between high and low beam. Most LED headlights assume the positive side is what switches. Since the D in LED stands for diode, that means that the headlight probably won't work right unless you configure the headlight circuit to use relays that switch the positive on the headlights.

If this seems confusing, go with H4 headlights. 

5 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

What do you mean by modify/lengthen?

There are lots of 7 inch LED headlights on the market. Thank the Jeep enthusiasts. The stock retaining rings will have an issue with the cooling fins on some of those headlights. I found that replacement retaining rings can work around that issue.

The biggest problem is that the S30 switches the ground to go between high and low beam. Most LED headlights assume the positive side is what switches. Since the D in LED stands for diode, that means that the headlight probably won't work right unless you configure the headlight circuit to use relays that switch the positive on the headlights.

If this seems confusing, go with H4 headlights. 

I tried to put some H4s in there a while back and since they weren't sealed beam and were a bit longer in the back (where the bulb plugged in) I couldn't screw the splash-guard (not sure if that is the correct term for the dome in the back of the bulb that keeps the water from the wheel well out) back into the fender.

I've seen posts on here of people who had to lengthen that so that LED bulbs would fit.  Are there bulbs now that fit without having to do that modification?

Having installed the Black Dragon H4 kit and various LED headlights into a 260Z, I'm not sure what the issue may be. They all fit inside the headlight assembly body like the one pictured. The part number, 26075-E4100, is for the 280Z, and I don't know if it differs in dimension from the 260Z assembly body. I wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference.

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/head-lamp

Headlight bucket.jpg

4 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Having installed the Black Dragon H4 kit and various LED headlights into a 260Z, I'm not sure what the issue may be. They all fit inside the headlight assembly body like the one pictured. The part number, 26075-E4100, is for the 280Z, and I don't know if it differs in dimension from the 260Z assembly body. I wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference.

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/head-lamp

Headlight bucket.jpg

Gotcha, maybe it was just the one I got.  I'll give a different brand a shot, thanks!

3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Like I said before the headlight retaining ring (called a headlight bracket in this ebay listing and is 26016-04100 in the carpartsmanual link) makes a difference. The one in the ebay link I provided allows for the cooling fins on the LED headlight.

Sorry, I didn't see that.  I'll pick some up now, thanks!

I went with these in the stock buckets, even was able to fit the anti-flicker block in the stock buckets too.

https://www.eaglelights.com/collections/jeep-led-kits/products/eagle-lights-7-round-led-headlights-jeep-wrangler-cj-jk-tj-97-2015

Had to use the anti-flicker block with the stock headlight wiring. I've just swapped to the MSA headlight relay upgrade and will see if I can remove the anti-flicker blocks.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic10l/12-4651

I think the headlight relay kit changes the wiring so that the center post is ground rather than the 2 outer posts which is stock. I 1st tried without the blocks and the lights wouldn't come on at all. I think the blocks changed the polarity so I had light. When I get around to trying again without the blocks I'll let you know if my thinking is correct.

Here's my initial thoughts when I first installed the lights.

11 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

I went with these in the stock buckets, even was able to fit the anti-flicker block in the stock buckets too.

https://www.eaglelights.com/collections/jeep-led-kits/products/eagle-lights-7-round-led-headlights-jeep-wrangler-cj-jk-tj-97-2015

Had to use the anti-flicker block with the stock headlight wiring. I've just swapped to the MSA headlight relay upgrade and will see if I can remove the anti-flicker blocks.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic10l/12-4651

I think the headlight relay kit changes the wiring so that the center post is ground rather than the 2 outer posts which is stock. I 1st tried without the blocks and the lights wouldn't come on at all. I think the blocks changed the polarity so I had light. When I get around to trying again without the blocks I'll let you know if my thinking is correct.

Here's my initial thoughts when I first installed the lights.

Sounds good, thanks

Be aware that the MSA headlight relay kit will not work for the 280Z without modifications. Contact @Zs-ondabrain. Dave designed the kit and has modified the kit for 260Z & 280Z owners. The reason for the relays is in my first response in this thread.

So far I haven't needed the anti flicker kits for any of the LED headlights I have tried, but I already had relays in the circuit.

Just now, SteveJ said:

Be aware that the MSA headlight relay kit will not work for the 280Z without modifications. Contact @Zs-ondabrain. Dave designed the kit and has modified the kit for 260Z & 280Z owners. The reason for the relays is in my first response in this thread.

So far I haven't needed the anti flicker kits for any of the LED headlights I have tried, but I already had relays in the circuit.

gotcha

from what ive gathered so far, this seems to be more than just pop in some led bulbs.  are there any other bulbs you would recommend I use to get more light instead of leds that are a bit more noobie friendly?