IGNORED

Need Help Identifing my electronic ignition setup

Dan222000

I've purchased my car a few years ago and never really did anything to the engine except for an oil change and new spark plug wires.  I've decided to upgrade the ignition system by upgrading it to an electronic ignition and when I pulled my dizzy cap off to check the points system I found that it was already converted over to an electronic setup.  I would like help identifying which electronic system is installed.  See photos below.  Looks to me that this may be an 280zx distributor swap.  Can someone help me identify what I have installed?  BTW...My Z is a 1973 240z 

I would like to upgrade the coil, as I have seen that a "flame thrower" coil would be a good upgrade.  There's two options here, a 1.5 ohm and a 3.0 ohm coils.  Which one should I get?  Spark plug wires are new which I got from Datsun Spirit.  

Also what spark plug would you guys recommend?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks Dan!

IMG_8393 (3).jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

Edited by Dan222000

So how can I identify what year 280zx this came out of?  I just check the ignition module and found that it is an E12-80.  So after digging around it looks like this is out of a 1979-1981 280zx N/A.  Can someone please confirm that this is correct?

Also does anyone know what would be the recommended spark plugs and spark plug gap for this distributor?  

Thanks!

Dan

36 minutes ago, Dan222000 said:

So how can I identify what year 280zx this came out of?  I just check the ignition module and found that it is an E12-80.  So after digging around it looks like this is out of a 1979-1981 280zx N/A.  Can someone please confirm that this is correct?

Also does anyone know what would be the recommended spark plugs and spark plug gap for this distributor?  

Early 280ZX sounds right.  The later years had an extra pin on the module, to change timing for emissions reasons.  E12-92 and -93 I think.  E12-80 is the basic module.

Your simplest route to best performance from the system is to download a 1979 FSM and match the coil specs, and spark plug gap.  A stock 00.84 - 1.02 ohm coil will give better performance than a Flamethrower probably.  Nissan balanced the parts, the module and the coil, for best performance.

image.png