IGNORED

installing diff/axles

Dkulka

280ZXT

ready to install my diff up under the car--with the new OBX unit installed--question is should I install the c rings into the differential spline groove then the axles or put the c rings on the axles first.?

When I removed the axles the c rings stayed in the diff grooves.

Thought I'd ask someone that's done this a few times before I get this heavy unit up under the car? If rings should go in the diff first I'd rather tackle this on the floor. It was a bear getting the axles to break free of the rings.

Thanks

Dave

I'd install them while the diff is out.  Much easier to test both ways.  They should snap in firmly with a rubber hammer or block of wood and stay in place, then take some effort to lever back out.  The axles are designed to have them (edit - the rings) in place in the diff.  You should be able to install and remove them (edit - the axles) multiple times.

I think that I've seen people use a socket of the right size to push the rings in to the groove.  The hard part is getting them started.  @jmortensen knows how to do it I think.

Might have better luck on Hybridz.  I've seen people have some problems with that.  

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

I'd install them while the diff is out.  Much easier to test both ways.  They should snap in firmly with a rubber hammer or block of wood and stay in place, then take some effort to lever back out.  The axles are designed to have them in place in the diff.  You should be able to install and remove them multiple times.
I think that I've seen people use a socket of the right size to push the rings in to the groove.  The hard part is getting them started.  [mention=4356]jmortensen[/mention] knows how to do it I think.
Might have better luck on Hybridz.  I've seen people have some problems with that.  
+1, they definitely have to be in the diff first, and it's much easier to do it while the diff is on the floor out of the car.

Thanks for the reply fellas

I took advise and tried before putting under the car.

With ring on the axle I beat hammered etc never did get the ring to fit in the diff splines. So I removed the ring and placed in the diff gear groove using  couple sockets of the right diameters. Then installed an axle no problem. Tried to remove said axle and beat hammered etc and couldn't get it out. Finally stuck a 1/2" dia pin thru form other side and one smack popped it out. OBX diff has a through hole. I remember taking the axles out a couple months ago while under the car and was a big pain in the butt but can't remember exactly how I managed to get them to pop out.

Thanks guys. Rings are in the differential now.