IGNORED

wiper linkage hardware-78 280Z

One Way

Continuing to refurbish smaller components on my resurrection project, and have started to tackle the wiper linkages.  The car had been sitting for way too long before I decided to purchase it and sadly most of the pivot points in the wiper linkages were seized and one section badly rusted.  Some BLASTER, patience, wire brushes, and various drill attachments have gotten all the parts cleaned up very nicely and are ready for some good primer and paint.  The wave washers will be able to be reused, but the large thin washer and thin torsion spring on the end of the linkage arm are badly rotted as were most of the small retaining clips.  The felt washers were also in rough shape.  The wiper motor bag cover was intact but too brittle to save.  Wiper motor looks like new except for one small portion on the motor case that is rusty.  Probably sitting in water trapped in the bag cover or cowl area.  Any sources for the hardware needed and the purpose of that light torsion spring?  Thanks for any tips and have a thankful Thanksgiving, John-Lugoff, SC.

Unless you just love the restoration of rusty old parts, I could offer you a complete replacement linkage in good shape if you prefer. At least you could scavenge the parts you need to re-do yours if the former is true.

There is a thread on here somewhere about a detailed rebuild of the linkage, and I think they discussed the purpose of that spring. 

Thanks for the great info.  The strangest thing about this project car is that many of the components are in like new condition with a gentle cleaning, and others are ravaged by rust.  First choice is to refurbish but we have found out that is not an option on each part.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC.