IGNORED

78 280z Severe Driving Problems

kinser86

On 10/23/2018 at 8:20 PM, Dave WM said:

here it is, the test setup is to eliminate all other variable (fuel rail, pump, lines) and just test the action of the static pressure test. I don't know for sure but I like the idea of the OE style pump have the built in regulation to not go too high, IIRC its 42psi, I doubt its super accurate but still better IMHO than some of the after markets that state they put out 90psi, that is a lot to bleed back. Perhaps the FPR is ok with that, but why chance it? anyway like I said its just my opinion I have no actual long term test to say aftermarket pumps are a problem.

Great video! I can do the same with the fuel pressure regulator I got. The one I purchased is more zinc than the yellow cadmium chromate in your video. I have not cut the old one apart either so I can perform the test on it as well. 

On 10/23/2018 at 7:08 PM, Zed Head said:

Should have mentioned also that it might be that today's new aftermarket regulators are just calibrated to 40 psi, or have a wide spec. range.  Quality control in the aftermarket is poor.  Bosch does not mean what it used to either.

If it runs well at 40 psi, passes emission, doesn't foul plugs, etc. consider just using it like that.

Agreed Zed Head. I'll look a that new regulator similar to the video Dave WM posted to see if the new Bosch compares to the old.

based on the age of the box mine came in, I am presuming it was pretty old. I will look closer to see if I can find a date code. I have it as a spare, glad to know it does not leak. When I travel I carry with me a box

• 2 ECU's
  • ign module
  • fan belts
  • voltage reg
  • tire repair kit
  • air compressor
  • fuses/glass and links
  • FSM
  • pressure regulator
  • fuel pump
  • multimeter
  • tools
  • oil/coolant
  • AAA card :)

that's a partial list anyway, I should prob give it some more thought and just have a permanent travel box to take. I was thinking about adding a radiator but that takes up quite a bit of room. I do plan to make a cross country trip in the next year so want a pretty comprehensive break down kit with me.

Maybe a good thread, "what to you take with you on long trips"

Edited by Dave WM

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while but I still owe some videos for everyone. We took the fuel rail return directly from the rail and dumped it into a jug and go 40-PSI. Thankfully this helps relieve any thoughts of the hard line to the tank and/or tank being the culprit. I did notice a kink in the rail on the outlet side, but I haven't pulled the regulator to test it outside of the car due to a busted air compressor system right now. Unfortunately we have been busy tackling many things and the weather has been garbage for a while so we haven't gotten out yet but we are still going down here.

Maybe I'll find another factory rail and put it in if I come across one.