IGNORED

Monterey Historic Races August 2018

v12horse

I did not get to the races, but I did go to the (free) Inaugural Japanese Automotive Invitational (sponsored by Infiniti).  It was one of the many events/exhibits around the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.  A nice collection of historic Japanese cars from all the Japanese marks: Datsun, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Infiniti, Mazda, etc.

I didn't take enough photos, but here are a few: (African Safari Tribute example, a Fairlady Z 432, 1500 Datsun roadster, one of several Skylines, and a beautiful Toyota 2000GT)

IMG_20180825_092151.jpgIMG_20180825_093110.jpgIMG_20180825_092825.jpgIMG_20180825_092448.jpgIMG_20180825_093233.jpgIMG_20180825_092544.jpg

7tooZ, I love Seattle.  One of my favorite cities.  The author Garth Stein is from there and he is an excellent writer and car enthusiast!

JayHawk, those are some spectacular cars you saw.  Thank you so much for sharing the photos.    

Like all of us here I was over the moon with the Nissan Motor Co. being the marque celebrated at the track and there are many photos and stories I want to share, but for now I will leave you with a photo of my wife and I in the 260Z.  It was a parade lap, but we still got to do a bit of a shake down.  My wife looked at the finish line clock and I had reached 84mph in the straight.  I was having fun, but being careful.  Forget about the car.  My wife is my baby!  The car was set up very well and I was the weakest link.  Seeing my wife smiling and having fun made it all worth it.  

Ben

DSC_6767.jpg

• Like 2

I was there with my son Thursday and Saturday. Got to meet Pete Brock.

As a 72-year old I was mightily impressed with 76-year old John Morton running in the GT class, in a field of 55 cars dominated by Porsches. finishing 8th overall.  No fuss. no muss, just the same precise lines, lap after lap.  

One other thing, BringaTrailer.com had a booth at the Friday Legends of the Autobahn event for German cars.  They were selling BringaTrailer hats,  featuring the silhouette of a 240Z atop their usual trailer trademark.  (of course I bought one).  

I pitted with those two cars that my buddy owns. It was truly a great 4 days for me. So many great Datsun/Nissan race people there. The famous and the not famous. Morton did great in his class, but Larry Cooper was right up there too in his 240 witha 2.4 ltr E88 head. He drove the wheels off it. All and all it was a weekend to remember. Thursday night had a great conversation with Jim Frederick, always great to see him. A special weekend indeed.20180823_163308.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 2