IGNORED

Generic 4 row radiators?

MakDiesel

My '72 Z is having problems staying cool with the original 2-row radiator (common problem). Anyway, instead of paying $245 + $30 shipping to have a heavy duty 4-row sent to me from Motorsport, I was wondering if anyone has adapted any other 4-row that was never orginally made for the 240s, but fit nicely anyway. (Sort of like the ol' Toyota 4x4 rear brake conversion)

Many moons ago I needed a new rad for my 280. I opened the hood of an 83zx in a salvageyard and low and behold there was a brandy new one!

I pulled it, brought that and my old rad to the shop area where the guy using a torch removed the mounting brackets from my old 280 rad, and swapped the ZX brackets. The ZX rad mounted right up and the whole thing cost me 45 bucks.

just a thought.

Yeah I thought of just finding a junked ZX but over here on the east coast esp. in NC we have lil in the way of finding a decent Z, and slim to scarce of finding a part-able one in a junkyard. Thing is there are no pick-n-pulls in my area that I know of or else I'd have torn apart half the state. The fins on my ol stocker have been straighter in their day too so I'm looking for a swap, maybe a similarly designed 4-row out of some big V-8? If it can cool 8 factory, It'll cool 6 under any condition.

A guy that I talked to in SC about a '72 said that he had a radiator from a GM vehicle. It fit just fine, except it hung a little lower than original. Still room for the shroud and fan with no problems. Not sure what car the radiator is from, all I know is that it was a V8.

mak,

I hear yah on the east coast dilemma of finding good cars. I have it even worse than you, I am in Jersey. The salt up here from the winters does them in, if sitting disabled in peoples lawns doesn;t get to them first.

2many is located in VA. he may have something floating around his warehouse :classic:

I only have one 4 (new) that I'm going to need... the rest that I have are stock 2 rows that need repair or re-core...

I think if you go over to www.hybridz.org you should find what you need to know in the way of GM radiators that will work. I know they use them with the GM V-8 swaps...

Or then there's always the aluminum GM replacement radiators from Summit Racing or Jeg's that should work.

Took a minute to find it but here's the link to the thread you ought to read...I think you'll find what you need there...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6825