IGNORED

75 280z stock height springs and shocks upgrade?

Will S

I'm looking to replace the stock springs and shocks in my 280z, but want to retain stock ride height and maintain some comfort for long drives on bad roads in the northeast, and have slightly sharper handling. I want to be able to do 3-5 hours on highway and back roads without too much discomfort. And keep ride height around stock, a bit higher or lower is fine. I'm also starting to replacing all of the bushings, most with urethane (cheaper than rubber, although maybe rubber would be better for my use), and running stock tire size (185/70R14). 

From reading around, it looks like the KYB GR-2 shocks would give me what I want, and that something like the Tokico HP or Illuminas is more aggressive, although I like the idea of having some adjustability (set it soft for long drives, but able to change for a firmer ride for more spirited driving). Any other shocks to consider? 

I also can't find much information on spring options that don't lower the car, and are slightly more aggressive? Something like the Euro Spec springs? But those seem impossible to find now. Any recommendations here? I think the stock spring rate is ~100 lb/in front, and 130 lb/in rear. 

Thanks

I just replaced the o rings and oil in my standard shocks, new OE rubber everywhere else. For daily round the town driving I think that is the better way to go. If the shocks have already been replaced with cartridges then you have no choice but to replaced them if they are bad. I would leave the springs stock unless they are damaged if you want a comfortable ride, most of what I have read would point to a rougher ride (is rough enough IMHO stock). I don't have them but have read lots of peeps unhappy with urethane as far as noise and road feel for a daily driver. Same goes for mustache bar mounts, the OE provide better noise abatement from diff whine again only from what I have read.

So while I will defer to others on after market suspension parts, I will say that my completely stock setup drives very well for daily driving, and since you mentioned that I thought I would chime in on leaving it OE.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

thanks for the input. The current ride is pretty soft and vague, I assume that stock in good condition is better, but that I would be comfortable with something more firm for a bit more performance. I decided to replace the shocks with KYB GR2s, and I'm going to keep the stock springs for now, as those won't be too difficult to swap out later if I want. 

Just a suggestion for replacing the stock springs. From another thread on here, I learned that the right Chevette springs can be used, though they need to be cut to height. I tried it out since the springs on my 260Z felt worn out. The ride does not feel harsh to me, and it is stiffer at all of the corners. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up here:

I've finished with the front of the car, went with poly bushings everywhere except the control arm to subframe, and the rear of the T/C rod (to reduce bending stress). And kept the stock springs on for now. Planning on doing the same in the rear, and then doing springs. So far, ride quality is much improved, less rattles and jolts, and the car seems more stable and less vague. 

Thanks for the tip Steve, it looks like a lot of people have been using those. I'm a bit concerned about the spring rates - if you cut the front ones shorter than the rear to get the correct ride height, then the front springs will be more stiff. Stock springs and most upgrade sets have the rears about 20% stiffer. I don't know enough about handling to know if that is important or not.

• Like 1