IGNORED

Manual Transmission front cover removal tips?

Thekvr

I have a four speed manual transmission from my '73 240z. I noticed some heavy grime in the bell housing and wanted to replace the seals and gasket. My trouble is getting the front cover off. Is it supposed to come off once unbolted from the front? I have searched and didn't come up with anything other than removing the fork and tapping with a screwdriver and a mallet, but it is not budging. Thanks for any helpful insight.

They can be very difficult to remove.  Nissan used a good gasket and maybe some sealer.  They tend to be glued on super-tight.  I would soak the gasket seam with some PB Blaster or something similar, maybe some carb cleaner to start.  Anything to soak into the paper of the gasket to loosen it up.

I recall having to find the right piece of wood and maneuver it just right to get a good shot at knocking it loose.  I think I might have used the clutch fork pivot ball somehow.  Be careful, it's only aluminum.  Edit - actually yours is steel I think so you might not have as big a worry.  You might be able to remove the fork pivot ball and run a bolt in the threaded hole to push it off.  Can't remember what exactly is behind the hole though.

In short - yes it can be very difficult to break free.

Edited by Zed Head

Just put a screwdriver/chisel in from the shifter fork hole and whack it. MUCH better angle of attack. If you're chicken, err, I mean, cautious, just use a long chunk of wood and hit the lever ball thingy instead. 

Thanks Zed Head and zKars! Okay it has been basting in PB Blaster over night. I would assume I whack the screwdriver/chisel in between the mating surfaces? I have given it some serious blows yesterday but it didn't want to give. Today I am hopeful LOL