IGNORED

72 OMS Pace Car F/S in NY

gundee

On 11/19/2017 at 6:23 PM, Lumens said:

Saw this. Claims to be 1 of 2 built and the last to survive. 

https://www.motorcarclassics.com/1972-datsun-240z-c-67.htm

Carl is correct. This was not claimed in the ad. I read this too fast. 

If these 50 clones were just paint only over an otherwise stock Z with the front and rear spoilers then not much added value IMO.

The original pace car was modified according to Carl's website. To what degree we don't really know, I guess.

I suspect they put some goodies on it from Datsun Comp Department.

The blue color on this car does not even look like the blue on the pace car shown on Carl's site.

This one looks like the BRE blue to me. 

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

........I've completely lost how many times this thing has supposedly been painted.

I've got no dog in this fight, and it's a good thing... I can't tell which one I should be rooting for!

Captain Out.  LOL

As I have followed this cars reported history over the years  - then its sale - and its initial refresh;  the graphics "0's" and stripes initially reapplied - they were pretty poorly done.( ie. not to scale etc.)  So it doesn't surprise me that they were either removed or painted over subsequently. The car presents better without them, even if incomplete.  The Ad does say it a Condition 3 example...even if it is a Low Condition #3 at this point.   Nonetheless - A Japanese Sports Car Pacing a traditional American Indy Car Race it is an interesting part of the 240Z's History and I believe this car should be actually restored properly - to preserve that history.  Like most Special Interest Cars, an interesting history or well founded story add some value for many Collectors - just how high the premium for that value is - only the market can tell. 

28 minutes ago, Lumens said:

Carl is correct. This was not claimed in the ad. I read this too fast. 

If these 50 clones were just paint only over an otherwise stock Z with the front and rear spoilers then not much added value IMO.

The original pace car was modified according to Carl's website. To what degree we don't really know, I guess.

I suspect they put some goodies on it from Datsun Comp Department.

The blue color on this car does not even look like the blue on the pace car shown on Carl's site.

This one looks like the BRE blue to me. 

From the same Web Site/Page: 

(Quote) After completing its official duties, the 1972 OMS Pace Car was purchased by Joel Anderson from the Datsun Competition Dept. for $1.00 and Joel picked it up at Sears Point from Bob Bondurant in 1979.

Joel was Frank Leary's Crew Chief and later became a fellow competitor. Joel and Frank shared a shop together in Santa Clara for years. Joel was one of the competitors at Atlanta when Frank won the American Road Race Of Champions in 1978. The OMS Pace Car was later prepared for competition in IMSA's GT-U Class.

Pictured Below: Now more highly modified for IMSA GT-U duty, the former OMS Pace car was campaigned by Anderson in black livery wearing #49 show here at Laguna Seca.(END Quote)

Joel and I have communicated frequently over the years - but I never thought to ask him exactly what BRE did in preparing the OMS Pace car for track duty.  The Z in its #49 Livery from its IMSA days - is still ran at the Monterey Historic's... although in a far more race prepared configuration from IMSA.

The Pace Cars and the Duplicates were BRE Blue... it was a DuPont color called "Big Bad Blue".. and they had the BRE livery.. the Photo's then digitized for Internet - can be somewhat misleading - depending on the lighting and old film processing etc. 

FWIW,

Carl

Edit - oh wanted to add - these were more specifically  - all 1972 White 240Z's with Red interiors. (helps narrow down the field a bit).

Edited by Carl Beck
added information

Just my personal involvement/prespective:

I was working as a New Car Sales Manager for a DATSUN Dealership in 1972. So received all the DATSUN PR Photo's and Press Releases.  Happened to keep the one about the 50 OMS Duplicates sold in Southern California to promote the California 500 & DATSUN. Started looking for any one of them, in about the mid 80's. Yes, as a huge fan of Peter Brock and BRE, as well as the DATSUN 240Z - I was hoping to find one in its "as sold" condition. That was when I started asking everyone "on-line" if anyone knew of one that I could buy.  As I recall the original owner of this car responded by EMail - saying he had one, but had repainted it - got tired of the attention it drew as he got older. Then a few years later I heard from the person he sold it to ( personal friend of the owner).. as the new owners plan was to put it back in its OMS livery..  As sometimes happens, one people get into a project and find out how much it costs.. they are forced to live within a their budget.. so it doesn't alway turn out the way they dreamed. 

I'm not in any way trying to support a $50K price - although I would love to see it. That would put a greater market value on all Datsun History.. I do however believe this car matters and hope someone will do it justice.

FWIW,

Carl