IGNORED

Z31 N/A RB project

five&dime

I picked up 3 NOS S30 Fairlady Z emblems and found two places that can replicate the S30 Z432 "432" emblems as well. The original Z432 was named as such due to the 4 valves per cylinder, triple carbs and 2 cams. I intend to create my version of a restomod 80's Z432. The safari gold with watanabe's would really set the package off too I think. 

The machinist looked over the head and has already created what he needs to open up the valves. He is also making a bridge to keep two valves open at once for the flow bench. He will weld new material into the combustion chamber and reshape it. He wants to unshroud the valves. A Tomei 87mm bore HG is on the way to him now and is the last thing he needs to get started. I have used him on a number of projects and this is the first time he has seemed excited about an engine build. Kind of cool considering he mostly does top fuel dragster type stuff. "This is going to be a fun one" he said when we last talked :) 

Found a place to send the RB26 45mm throttle bodies off to have enlarged to 49mm with new butterflies, bearings etc. They re coat the inside of the bores with the factory paint for proper sealing. Then I will take those along with the plenum and Tomei intake gasket kit so the machinist can port match those as well. 

This is going to be one heck of an engine and I imagine the sound might give Ferrari a run for the money.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Received the fairlady and 432 emblems. Also got new mirror to door seals which are critical for keeping water out the interior. A local guy had the 87-89 front bumper, hood and a fender that I can use for referencing the extra holes I need to drill for the side skirts. 

Throttle bodies have been shipped off to Australia for enlargement to 49mm, new butterflies, seals, bearings, hot tank and new plating on steel parts and some of the linkage. 

I pulled one of the quarter windows. I talked with the guy doing paint/body and the plan is to ditch the trim by welding in more metal around the glass and using a stronger bonding agent to glue the glass back in. Which would look just like this first side profile rendering. 

The other rendering is coming along as well. The color isn't quite accurate but it's pretty much impossible to replicate digitally. Even looking at photos of safari gold cars online is misleading depending on lighting conditions. I probably will not attempt this spoiler idea anymore since I found a Shiro special front spoiler which is the one shown in the first rendering. The goal is pretty much to build this very car. No rear bumper and everything. I don't know why but I am obsessed with that side profile render! 

24213925067_b2a9b48c3e_b.jpg

38778586905_2f7256c872_b.jpg

24807258727_c03a8fc7e2_b.jpg

38964761344_2d3b7506e8_b.jpg

24780068537_1c732e4ed0_b.jpg

38786394955_c38c33a85f_b.jpg

Edited by five&dime

On 12/16/2017 at 7:02 PM, five&dime said:

The guy who did the above rendering was kind enough to change the color to something like 920 safari gold and added watanabe's. This is my goal.

24213925067_b2a9b48c3e_b.jpg

Looks like you have most of your body parts now. Can’t wait to see this rendering come to life!

Not down to metal. My dad's were stripped down because there were prior repairs or resprays. This car is all original so only the rear sections with rust will be taken down to bare metal. The rest will be properly scuffed and all body work done prior. 

18 minutes ago, five&dime said:

Not down to metal. My dad's were stripped down because there were prior repairs or resprays. This car is all original so only the rear sections with rust will be taken down to bare metal. The rest will be properly scuffed and all body work done prior. 

But inside and out, full color change?