IGNORED

Extinguisher location?

siteunseen

I put mine in the right hand tool compartment. I can reach it from the driver's seat without any contortions. As a retired fire fighter I wanted it handy, but having been to too many car wrecks where everything inside was tossed around I did not want to mount it out in the open. I cringe when I see a car with speakers on the tray behind the back seat. One wreck I went on was somewhat minor, but both people in the car were killed by the speakers flying forward and striking them in the head...very sad...young folks, too. FWIW, those plastic holders are notorious for breaking. They are actually designed to break away by a panicked person grabbing the extinguisher to use. Just my experience...$.02 worth.

Cheers, Mike

I'll see if mine will fit in one of those bins Mike, thanks. 

AZ-240Z my extinguisher is too big to put in front of the passenger's seat. :( Tried this morning and the nozzle plus the gauge make it impossible to mount and be out of the way of the slide handle. Mine is a little larger than your's and has a metal nozzle that's pretty long. I would get a smaller one but the one I bought is rechargeable.

I'll try and figure out something, screwing it through the vinyl is my last and most probable option.

Also, you should take the extinguisher out at least every year (they are easy to forget until you need it) and do three things: first check the gauge to make sure  it has a charge (it's a total bummer to need it-pull the pin-squeeze the trigger and nothing happens), second look into the nozzle to make sure it isn't blocked, and third turn the extinguisher upside down several times and bang on the cylinder with your hand a few times as the powder can get compacted and solidified over time  with the same disappointing results as #1. Put your ear up to the cylinder to see if you can hear the powder move. I can't as, like most firefighters, my hearing is diminished from being around sirens, air horns, and loud diesel engines. These tips apply to all your fire extinguishers. You DO have one in the garage/shop don't you?  A couple more things and I'll sign off: try not to breathe the powder as it is not good for your lungs...don't open the hood, shoot through the radiator, shoot from a distance if you can, start at the base of the fire and move up, and don't be a hero. That's what the fire department is for. They have the safety equipment and resources to get in close.  If you don't get the fire knocked down move away and call 911. Be safe out there. No car is worth your life.

Cheers, Mike

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I'll see if mine will fit in one of those bins Mike, thanks. 

AZ-240Z my extinguisher is too big to put in front of the passenger's seat. :( Tried this morning and the nozzle plus the gauge make it impossible to mount and be out of the way of the slide handle. Mine is a little larger than your's and has a metal nozzle that's pretty long. I would get a smaller one but the one I bought is rechargeable.

siteunseen,  I wanted to protect my car without modifying it, ie., drilling holes or otherwise making any non-

reversible change which would impact its originality.  Granted, my extinguisher is small and I hope to never

need it, but it should be adequate to smother a fire before it gets out of hand.  The Velcro straps hold it very

tightly against the passenger forward seat mounting support and easily accessed.  I also installed a battery

quick disconnect that just clamps onto the negative battery cable and terminal and, with the twist of a knob,

disconnects power from the battery.  

Time being a critical element with fire, my plan is to have readily available both an extinguisher and means

to remove electical power in order to attack a fire under the dash, hood, or car quickly.

Short story of an experience I had many years ago while driving home from a round of golf with a friend.

We were in my Z and stopped at a traffic light.  An older lady diving a 50s or 60s vintage Mercedes sedan

pulled up behind me at the stop light when I noticed smoke coming from under her hood.

Flames followed almost immediately, and, as I pulled forward to get clear, here entire car became engulfed

in fire and burned to the ground.  She jumped clear and we all watched the total destruction of her car which

took only minutes.

this is an option that works for my car, and I know you will determine what best works for your car.  

Best of luck.

Dan

edit:

Having just read the Pop’s Z comments above, I am going to replace my extinguisher with a new one.

Cheap insurance for the price, and will test the old one, as it is several years old, to see if it’s still

functional.

Edited by AZ-240z

It fit perfectly in the passenger's side tool bin, the good news.  While moving the spare tire tools over to the driver's side I realized there was no lug nut tool, the bad news but I'm glad I found out today instead of on the side of the road with a flat.  I'll try some junkyards to see if I can get a short one from a Stanza or some other Nissan with the same lug size.  Actually the Rewinds have an adapter for their lugs so I will carry that with me to get the right size.

Thanks for all the help!

Cliff

2 hours ago, Pop's Z said:

I put mine in the right hand tool compartment. I can reach it from the driver's seat without any contortions. As a retired fire fighter I wanted it handy, but having been to too many car wrecks where everything inside was tossed around I did not want to mount it out in the open. I cringe when I see a car with speakers on the tray behind the back seat. One wreck I went on was somewhat minor, but both people in the car were killed by the speakers flying forward and striking them in the head...very sad...young folks, too. FWIW, those plastic holders are notorious for breaking. They are actually designed to break away by a panicked person grabbing the extinguisher to use. Just my experience...$.02 worth.

Cheers, Mike

Mike good advice on the flying projectiles. Makes perfect sense and a great reminder, thank you.