IGNORED

Fan control switch

joe newsom

If I remember right you loosen a small screw and remove the knob on front. The switch comes through the panel with a threaded rod with the high medium low stalk in the center of the threaded part. There is a nut that goes on from the front onto the threads. Tighten that down the put the knob back on. Like a radio's knobs.

s-l300.jpg

More importantly, the mounting hole in the fascia (what your holding in the picture) is supposed to be slightly D-shaped, so as to match the flat that's machined onto the threaded ferrule of the switch.  It looks like a PO or passenger got over-enthusiastic and torqued the control knob so hard that the 'D' was completely stripped out of the plastic.  It'll will be very hard to restore the D shape to the mounting hole in fascia.  But perhaps you could try grinding a D shaped hole into a fender washer (Dremel tool) and then glue the fender washer to the back of the fascia plate.  Or maybe you could just solder a piece of flat sheet on the back of the washer so that it slightly overlaps the hole, thereby creating the flat that makes the hole become D-shaped.  Anything you glue onto the backside of the fascia plate is going to act as a standoff for the switch housing, and that means that the shaft of the switch isn't going to stick out on the other side as much as it normally would.  In other words, keep your repair materials thin.  Whatever you adopt as a repair, it's going to need to be sturdy or else it won't last very long. 

The simple-but-expen$ive route will be to simply buy a new fascia plate.

I happen to have these spares in my office right now.  As site said there is a nut that goes on the panel, front side.  There is also a flat on the thread and in the panel hole for orientation.  But it doesn't really stop rotation, the clamping of the nut does that.  Here's a pic.

HTH

Mike

20171021_105509.jpg

Mike may have a point.  The flat on the ferrule could be just a provision to orient the switch properly relative to the OFF-LO-MED-Hi markings.  Note how the the front of the switch housing has a 'lumpy' surface that's maybe supposed to key into the mating surface of the fascia plate.

Note that in his photo, Mike's switch appears to be missing a white nylon washer that's should sit between the jamb nut and the front surface of fascia.  I think it's there to spead the clamping force exteted by the jamb nut over a broader surface area.

Maybe a couple of small dabs of Gorilla glue on the front of the switch housing before you re-assemble against the back of the fascia?

102_1655.JPG

6 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

I happen to have these spares in my office right now.

Come on, admit it.  That's not really an office.  It's a parts storage room disguised as an office so that you can keep your Z stuff in  the house without your wife noticing.

17 hours ago, Namerow said:

Come on, admit it.  That's not really an office.  It's a parts storage room disguised as an office so that you can keep your Z stuff in  the house without your wife noticing.

Ok, you got me.  Now I have to come up with an excuse for the collection of parts in the spare bedroom closet.

• Haha 1