Dash cracks - Page 2 - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Dash cracks

Featured Replies

Ya a least the Australian company does not advertise remolding and new foam.

The problem was the dash was too advance for the materials of the time. That was another reason I was looking into making molds and redoing them replacing all the foam

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Classic Zcar Club mobile

3 hours ago, ajmcforester said:

That was another reason I was looking into making molds and redoing them replacing all the foam

How far into this process did you get? Were you thinking you would make the molds yourself, or were you looking for a company to make it for you?

How far into this process did you get? Were you thinking you would make the molds yourself, or were you looking for a company to make it for you?


I got estimates on foam vynle molding from several shops and costs to make the molds needed to remold the dashes. I also calculated a lot of the ancillary costs of the process. I was around $35,000 for the molds, and about 2,000 per dash based on anticipated volume to receive. At that point I had about 80% of costs minus any other hidden costs. This did not include time to do this. The final cost I need to charge to make it all happen was close to $5,000 per dash to remold and with a 3 month turn around because I need a month for the work and 100 to do a reminding. To do it in less time the price was pushing into 5 digits.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Yikes. I can see why you bailed on the project.

I sure do wish there was a cheap way to get a whole new skin on the dash.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
Yikes. I can see why you bailed on the project.
I sure do wish there was a cheap way to get a whole new skin on the dash.

the problem is when they made the dashes it was a presure vacume pull of the skin then the frame conected to the back of the the low presure mold stopped into place then the foam polymer was injected, then cooled. This dash was so complicated it's a hard for modern tech and materials to do it

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Can you point me towards any documentation that describes the process? Or youtube videos of parts made using the same process?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.