IGNORED

Auto Trans Oil Change?

ramsesosirus

If you do go Drag Racing ( or any other competition ) don't forget to upgrade with an big Auxilary  transmission cooler.  For Drag cars the burnout and holding on a footbrake or Trans brake to buid boots creates a TON of heat more than the factory cooler can handle. For Drag racing and using an Air to Oil cooler,   put an electric fan on the cooler, as you need some airflow through the fins during burnout and staging. A n Ice box with Water cooling is sometimes paired with a Water to Air Intercooler and a Water to Oil transmission cooler.

An auxiliary air to air cooler is also a big help even on a stock street car with an  Auto. Factory coolers are often too small.  

https://z31performance.com/forum/z31-performance-upgrade-forums/driveline-aa/569-jatco-3n71b-4n71b-automatic-trans-buildup-information.   Link to what I did to mine.  I also picked a manual valve body from keas.  My torque converter was restalled to 3k.  I bent input shafts and ballooned the converter if I brake boosted in low.  I switched to brake boosting in 2nd then dropping into low when leaving.  Never damaged the trans doing that.  The guy that sells shift kits on ebay has a good kit if you don't want a manual vb from keas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chickenman said:

An auxiliary air to air cooler is also a big help even on a stock street car with an  Auto. Factory coolers are often too small.  

Good call, I do plan on an aux cooler.  There is a chart that shows that the temp. of an auto trans is directly related (and possibly the most important thing) to the life of the trans.  

While the chart only goes up to 100,000 miles, I've had several autos get to over 200,000.  But you get the idea...

z trans.jpg

I  had a local Drag Racer who was having troubles with blowing up TH 400's. A local Tranny shop who were supposedly experts at building Drag Transmissions. had been building them. I had one of my Autocross TH400's up for sale ( just switched car to manual tranny )  and it was filled with all sorts of hard core Trans-Go race parts. He wasn't running an auxiliary cooler or a trans temp gauge. I told him to put both in and immediately switch to Synthetics. He put temp gauge in the pan first and ran an event that weekend. He called me the following Monday. He was seeing over 350F ( in the Tranny Pan )  after his burn out and  staging on the Transbrake!!!  

Needless to say he was putting a big arse cooler and fan in ASAP.. Fortunately he had installed the Amsoil Synthetic transmission fluid as I had recommended. About three years later, I ran into him at the local Strip. The same TH400 that I sold him was still going strong.  Only thing he did was install fresh Synthetic Fluid ( Amsoil ) and a new filter at the beginning of the season. After the second season on the transmission he stopped pulling the pan to inspect it for any wear every couple of races, as the fluid and pan were spotless every time. Clean fluid, cool fluid... and a decent build = no headaches 

• Like 1