IGNORED

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

Home Built by Jeff

1 hour ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

It is just a zinc based primer to protect the bare metal until I am ready to paint it properly.

Does that mean you remove the zinc primer and respray the 2k epoxy? Or do you just paint over the zinc?

On 3/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, wheee! said:

Does that mean you remove the zinc primer and respray the 2k epoxy? Or do you just paint over the zinc?

I will sand a lot of it off when I go to put the 2k high fill primer on, but some of it will still be there, but it won't be an issue for very small areas.

I will sand a lot of it off when I go to put the 2k high fill primer on, but some of it will still be there, but it won't be an issue for very small areas.

I found the degreaser would start to remove the zinc primer and I was concerned the top coat would not have a good base to adhere to in those spots. The 2K epoxy is super well bonded to the sheet metal.

5 hours ago, wheee! said:

I found the degreaser would start to remove the zinc primer and I was concerned the top coat would not have a good base to adhere to in those spots. The 2K epoxy is super well bonded to the sheet metal.

The tiny areas which are remaining should not be an issue, as the surface will be keyed again with 80 grit and then high filled, I am not concerned.

19 hours ago, wheee! said:

Nice work on the rear bumper Jeff! Did you butt weld the ends to the main bar or did you lap weld them?

They already step in and overlap, so I just lap welded them. Butt welding would require far too much work to beat out the recess to line up with the rest of the bar, and then it probably wouldn't be as strong anyway ;) 

On 3/10/2018 at 4:02 PM, Home Built by Jeff said:

They already step in and overlap, so I just lap welded them. Butt welding would require far too much work to beat out the recess to line up with the rest of the bar, and then it probably wouldn't be as strong anyway ;) 

As usual nice work. I gave up on my metal bonnet also. So no great defeat there just common sense. Going with carbon fiber. Has a more natural shape and will never rust. I probably would have butt welded the bumper. Sandwich areas are always the first to rust. A bit time consuming but no beating. Just cut out the recess and trim to fit.

6 hours ago, esmit208 said:

As usual nice work. I gave up on my metal bonnet also. So no great defeat there just common sense. Going with carbon fiber. Has a more natural shape and will never rust. I probably would have butt welded the bumper. Sandwich areas are always the first to rust. A bit time consuming but no beating. Just cut out the recess and trim to fit.

That is true. I avoid lap welding wherever I can for that very reason. I will have to flip it over at some stage and do something there to make sure the rust is slowed at least. May be hard to cut the end of it off now that it would have to be done from inside the bar. I will sort something out ;)