IGNORED

Gas cap change?

JLPurcell

My estimation is late 1971 or early 1972.

Build date of my current car is 11/71 and it has the one in the upper-left of the photos with a chain connected to the base ring. 

A 1972 had I owned back in the 80s had a handle and chain configuration.

42 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

I have the top left one and it has always been chained.

That is interesting. As you can see in the photo of the bottom of the top left one, this one has no chain or place to connect a chain. This is as early as you get for caps, it is off of a 69 production car. Can you take a photo of where the chain attaches on yours? I would be interested in seeing it. 

Edited by JLPurcell

1 hour ago, JLPurcell said:

That is interesting. As you can see in the photo of the bottom of the top left one, this one has no chain or place to connect a chain. This is as early as you get for caps, it is off of a 69 production car. Can you take a photo of where the chain attaches on yours? I would be interested in seeing it. 

As requested, just like @DatsunZGuy.

100_2834.JPG

The chain must have been an upgrade, but at what point. The mounting point for the chain is riveted along with the retainer bar on your photo and there is no such mounting point on mine. Chris has #'s 00026 & 00027 I wonder if his are like the one I had from 00029? 

Jerry, I don't think any of my 1969 production cars have the chain (highest VIN is #480).  I have #32 (HLS30) in the garage and just confirmed it doesn't have the chain.  The other cars are stored at another garage so I would have to wait until the next time I'm out there to confirm on those.  I can't recall when the chain was added other than sometime in 1970.

Edited by Mike B
  • Like 1