IGNORED

Noisy Tappets?

240paul

Hi all,

Just a quickie,

I have adjusted the Valve clearances on my Z (8 & 10 cold) and still notice that when hot, the tappets are quite noisy - Not so when cold.

Is it just a trait of the L24 engine? - Or does thicker oil help??

Paul

What oil do you use? Try adjusting them when they are hot.

In my manual the chart covers 1970 - 1981(non-turbo). The valve chart shows .01" for intake & .012" for exhaust ( HOT ) That would make .008" & .01" too tight when set cold. BUT.... the info that my manual shows would make your valves noisier. It would be easier to 'float' the valves if set at .008" & .01" cold. Are you sure the noise is in the valve train? If you are sure then use a screwdriver - touch it to the valve cover & put your ear on the handle - 'listen to the valves' move it over each section of valves when you hear the noise get louder that is where the problem is.

Recheck the valve clearances.

- Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply,

I did check the clearances "Hot" today and they were 010" & 012"

I believe that the engine has 10w-40 in it.

I did the old screwdriver trick as well just to be 100% sure and it is definitely the valve train - same amount of noise all the way along, but only when hot!

One thing I did notice is that although the head has a new cam & rockers in it, the little 3/8” round pads that sit on top of the valves (Terminology- Help!!) seem to be the original ones as they look as though they have about 5-10 thou of wear on them. Would be interesting to know if these can cause a problem.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, the first thing I would do is check the wear pattern on the new rockers. If the old lash pads were used and were not the correct thickness, you could have the cam lobes running off the ends of the rocker contact area. This could be contributing to the noise you hear. Tha lash pad clearance could be off even though the rocker to cam lobe is adjusted correctly.

See this thread for a little more info...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6342&perpage=15&highlight=Lash%20pads&pagenumber=2

That is interesting!

The Haynes manual says nothing about different size lash pads - (they call them rocker pads?)

Makes sense to me - the head had new seats put in for unleaded so I suppose there is a big chance that the tops of the valve are higher/lower than what was original.

I will have a look and see the wear pattern on the rocker (where the cam strikes) and report my findings.

George,

Thanks for you kind offer :D Does the factory workshop manual go into detail about different size lash pads??

Thanks

Paul

I have just taken one of the rockers out and a lash pad. The contact area on the rocker looks too far toward the pivot post?? – The wear on the lash pad can’t help the situation either I suppose!

(See picture)

Paul

post-3688-14150792606783_thumb.jpg

Well, the FSM doesn't go into much detail about the lash pads.

You would be much further ahead to either have a good machine shop do the work, or if you choose to do it yourself, you really ought to buy one of 2 books. Either the book, "How to Rebuild Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine", or the "How to Hotrod and Race your Datsun".

The How to Rebuild book goes into pretty good detail on how to measure, and how to determine if the wear pattern is correct.

You might also want to make good friends with someone at a dealership or shop if you are going to do this on your own, as you might need more than one set of lash pads so you can determine the exact thickness you need. They are a bit pricey and there are quite a few different thicknesses available... If you look at the thread I posted the link to you'll see what I mean. Perhaps if you found a shop that has the lash pads, you could make a deal to return the unused ones and only be charged for the ones you need after you measure and set up the lash pads on you head.

It would be a lot easier to do this while the head is on a workbench too, I know, but to do it on the engine in the car your gonna have to lean on the fender to get your measurements, and to be able to see the wear pattern on the rockers.....:disappoin