IGNORED

Electric fuel pump conversion question

Jasonxp

Jasonxp, Haha!  Glad to help. You weren't searching in the right part of the web. ClassicZ's got you covered!

So... You're going to move your original 260 flat top carbs over onto that 280 motor, right?

gnosez, What do we need to do to earn the sound of one hand clapping? That'll be my new goal.  :)

@Captain Obvious The L26 in my Z at some point had been switched out for round tops and the emissions equiptment removed. Would have loved to have used the original engine but the bottom end was seized. Tried for days to break it loose, ended up pulling the head and trying but no success,so I decided to get another one and rebuild my L26 as a next project. I'll post a progress thread on here if y'all are interested as I slowly get it back on the road. 

How could I have missed moi? Indeed, how could I. Sorry.

My best defense is that my vision gets tunnel-like with a migraine headache.

Jason, my recommendation is to get an FSM, read it and everything else you can find here and on other sites and then come back with the things you can't figure out. Good luck.

Looks like I'm late to this party, but I did exactly this on my early '74

First I installed a Carter P60504 fuel pump in the factory rear location near the tank.  If you remove the stock pump and filter mount you can put the new pump and filter in the same mount, it looks like it goes there.  Top tip: that whole fuel pump bracket comes out pretty easy.  Pull it, clean it, mount everything and then reinstall.

Long story short:  I researched how the relay/sensor system worked on my car and found that the cluster of electronics under the passenger dashboard does nothing but manage when to turn the fuel pump on.  I yanked all of that and ended up with 2 molex connectors.  On one side I had power when the ignition was on feeding from the fuel pump circuit, on the other i had the fuel pump.  Simple jumper wire solved that problem for now.

The point of the fuel only working at 400 RPM is to shut off the fuel when the car is crashed and about to catch fire so its one of those important safety features.  I would like to install some sort of cutoff switch but i haven't gotten that far yet.