SU float bowl lids - Page 2 - Carburetor Central - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

SU float bowl lids

Featured Replies

  • Author

Had to take a break!  There's football game on I'd like to watch. :huh:

First lesson I learned today is a Sharpie marker isn't suitable for this.  I used my Dremel to make a scratch in the glass all the way around.  2nd one was my work table is crookeder than my teeth.

Here's what I have set-up for Sunday morning, water hose is laying beside my chair in case of a fire.  If anyone could add some advice I would appreciate it. :)

This is just from eyeballing the tang from pictures I found on the internet.  Prior to matching pictures they were waaaaaaay too high, I was driving on drips of fuel.  

Now I'm just a few millimeters off.  In the morning they'll be perfect at 23mm.  Thanks for everybodies help.  Cliff

DSC01678.JPG

DSC01679.JPGDSC01679.JPG

DSC01680.JPG

Can you compare the fuel height with water... yeah I know your pump will be wet for a bit but it would be a good calibration point for those calibrating with water.

Also measuring the pump psi or giving its rating would be good to know as it determines when the valve closes.

Measuring closure point (Fuel level in middle axis of plate-bowl) at different degrees of  tilt will solve the "mystery" and give a nice curve as you do 0 degrees (23mm), 5 degrees (?mm), and 10 degrees (mm) as well as -5 degrees (?mm), and -10 degrees (mm) .

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
4 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Can you compare the fuel height with water...

I'll refer you to these post Mr Blue. :D

 

  • Author
3 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Measuring closure point (Fuel level in middle axis of plate-bowl) at different degrees of  tilt will solve the "mystery" and give a nice curve as you do 0 degrees (23mm), 5 degrees (?mm), and 10 degrees (mm) as well as -5 degrees (?mm), and -10 degrees (mm) .

I noticed something while doing the first set-up and will be able to tell more tomorrow.  The way these floats are made I could swear they make the level a touch higher towards the back, compensating for the motor tilt.  Can you see it in this photo?  Looks pretty level looking at it now.  For once in my life I may be wrong! :shhhh:

DSC01679.JPG

  • Author
13 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Can you compare the fuel height with water...

I'm sorry, I understand what you're saying now.  When I get mine set I can do it with water and get the measurements using water.  As far as that goes, once I get mine set I'll do anything I can to help others in the future.  You may get a phone call for helpful ways of doing this correctly. :)

Measuring closure point (Fuel level in middle axis of plate-bowl) at different degrees of  tilt will solve the "mystery" and give a nice curve as you do 0 degrees (23mm), 5 degrees (?mm), and 10 degrees (mm) as well as -5 degrees (?mm), and -10 degrees (mm) .

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.