IGNORED

Recommendations on 432 rear spoiler

thumpgun

My back ordered front and rear spoilers showed up today from MSA. I ordered the 432 rear and I'm not happy with it. I am calling and returning it on Monday. One of the bolts has been tightened up so much it has busted through the top. And the edges aren't smooth at all. It would really require a lot of sanding and finish to be used. I didn't realize that they were this rough when you bought one. Even if the finish was better I still need to return it due to the busted spot.

I'm not sure if they get these from Classic Datsun or not. Does anyone know if the MSA 432 rear spoiler is the same as the Classic Datsun and Whitehead Performance model?

Can anyone recommend which or any 432 style rear spoiler they feel is the nicest or best made? I want to leave it black and do not want to commit to drilling holes in my hatch unless it's a nice spoiler.

I'm unfamiliar with this spoiler. The ones I have gotten before for RX-7's are Gel Coat or much cleaner looking. The front one I got from MSA is fiberglass and primed on the outside and it looks good. It will have to be painted but it has much cleaner and smoother lines. Is this as good as they get? I'd appreciate recommendations and experiences of others please.

Thanks for reading.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 3 months later...

2 hours ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

Mine looks the same. It needs some filler and sanding before I can even prime it.  I was not thrilled with it either, but I plan to try to make it work.  My only question is what color to paint it. Same as the rear valance around the lights, or body colored.

Go with black or the the color or the tail light surround rather than body color - it gives a more menacing look.

Dennis

I'm doing the rear one Black or Satin Black and the Euro front spoiler the Grey Metallic like the sail panel. Yeah Zedyone, I decided to keep mine even though it needs some work.

Years ago when we ordered fiberglass parts they were slick and nice. That's what I expected. Plus the info didn't say it needed finished. 

47 minutes ago, thumpgun said:

I'm doing the rear one Black or Satin Black and the Euro front spoiler the Grey Metallic like the sail panel. Yeah Zedyone, I decided to keep mine even though it needs some work.

Years ago when we ordered fiberglass parts they were slick and nice. That's what I expected. Plus the info didn't say it needed finished. 

The product MSA sent you is unacceptable and the folks there should either replace it, discount it deeply, or change their ad for it on their website.  The unit on their website appears to have a shiny black gelcoat finish (not the mounted picture, but the stand alone picture).  The item in your picture is far from that. 

I've bought a lot of items from MSA and I'm surprised they accepted such a poorly made piece from a supplier and willingly shipped it out to you - two quality control failures for them.  They don't mention that extensive finishing work is required.  The spoiler you got looks more like what they sell in their "scratch & dent" sales. 

That said, they are good about making things right and I think a phone call to them would get you a good replacement.

Dennis

They had me send photos (the ones posted) and they agreed to refund my money. They sent me a return label and I ended up getting the flu and never sent it back. I wrote back and told them I'd just keep it since I let the label expire. They didn't offer a discount. I also gave them plenty of time on back ordered headlight covers which the website said were in stock. I did get that money refunded with no problem. I gave it several weeks but they still had no ETA on a new shipment.

I did tell them they needed to change the description to state that it wasn't "finished" and would need work. And they should note when items were out of stock (headlight covers) I thought it would be gel coated and slick. I expected a lot more from such a good company.  I'm really not sure if anyone makes a slick, finished one anymore. I decided I'd make the best of it since I kept it. Not sure if any others would be better quality or not.