IGNORED

Hatch support mount welds failed - solutions?

BadDog

This isn't quite urgent enough for the Help Me! section, and IMHO falls between body & interior, so I'm posting it here.

The welds that held my hatch support to the body failed. They gave way clean, the metal still looked OK, so I had a local body shop weld the support base/mount back in place. It lasted about a week before it sheared off again, this time leaving some damage behind. I almost think that I need to (carefully) drill some holes and just use screws/bolts and nuts (plus self-tapping sheet metal screws for the tight spots) to hold it in place, but that means putting holes in the drip/water channel of the hatch opening :-(

I was wondering up a new mount could be fabricated that would hook over the metal lip of the hatch, and either kept in place with panel bonding adhesive or spot-welded to the lip, yet be thin enough to sit under the hatch seal and not cause water/fume leakage... but I am not a metal wiz :-\

So if this has happened to you, what was your solution besides making a prop to hold your hatch open?

WP_20161020_08_05_03_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20161020_08_02_58_Pro_LI.jpg

I would grind the metal smooth on both parts. Next find the center of the four hold on metal latch,center pinch holes,drill thru the four holes that were previously welded with 1/8 in drill first then with a 1/4 or 5/16 hole in latch piece only. Next match latch piece to previous welded location with clamp . Use mig welding machine with .024 or .030 wire with triple mix inert gas and plug weld. Practice on a piece of scrap metal at a hot setting to insure o good hot sound weld. If you don't weld then go to a different welder who will guarantee his or her work .total time to weld only should only take about 15 minutes. Ray

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:05 PM, ray_madera said:

I would grind the metal smooth on both parts. Next find the center of the four hold on metal latch,center pinch holes,drill thru the four holes that were previously welded with 1/8 in drill first then with a 1/4 or 5/16 hole in latch piece only. Next match latch piece to previous welded location with clamp . Use mig welding machine with .024 or .030 wire with triple mix inert gas and plug weld. Practice on a piece of scrap metal at a hot setting to insure o good hot sound weld. If you don't weld then go to a different welder who will guarantee his or her work .total time to weld only should only take about 15 minutes. Ray

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club

Yeah, I have zero welding experience, and no access to equipment. But thanks for the detailed answer. Between yours and the other "find another shop" answers, it tells me that the welding I had done wasn't so good and that's probably why it failed. Maybe he was trying to prevent damage to my paint work?

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:23 AM, dmoralesbello said:

Had the same problem a couple of months ago.. I repaired it with panel bonding adhesive and self tapping screws where the spot welds were. So far so good.

Here's the link to my post: 

Do you have any pictures of this repair? I've used panel bonding adhesive before, so if having another shop weld it again doesn't do the trick (or if I can't get in to one), I assume that you only used the self-tapping screws where for the two spots that wouldn't make holes in my paint, correct? ;-)

6 hours ago, BadDog said:

Do you have any pictures of this repair? I've used panel bonding adhesive before, so if having another shop weld it again doesn't do the trick (or if I can't get in to one), I assume that you only used the self-tapping screws where for the two spots that wouldn't make holes in my paint, correct? ;-)

Had the same problem a couple of months ago.. I repaired it with panel bonding adhesive and self tapping screws where the spot welds were. So far so good.

Here's the link to my post: 

There are pics in my post. I used a self tapping screw in each of the 2 spot welds. That way the final result actually mimics the spot welds.

• 6 months later...

Here's what I ended up fabricating out of some sheet steel from Tractor Supply:

IMG_20170407_163411577.jpg

Works OK, but I may try to come up with a better design in the future. I also Plasti-Dipped it before installing it along with some epoxy:

IMG_20170409_195353235.jpg