IGNORED

71 D style hubcap

bigsuetom

I want to point out to you that there are two types of wheel cover so that you don't mistakenly buy a mismatching one.  The spacing and number of wheel grips on the back are different and they reflect the location of the valve stem hole.  Either between the spokes or centered on a spoke.  It looks like your valve stem hole is between the spoke.  Good luck in your hunt!

13 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

I want to point out to you that there are two types of wheel cover so that you don't mistakenly buy a mismatching one.  The spacing and number of wheel grips on the back are different and they reflect the location of the valve stem hole.  Either between the spokes or centered on a spoke.  It looks like your valve stem hole is between the spoke.  Good luck in your hunt!

it looks like he has one of each in the above pic

you are right about two styles. a couple years ago I lost one and got a replacement off of ebay. I noticed the grips were different but didn't notice the location of the valve stem. My understanding is the early 70 caps had poor gripping and they changed the design. My z came with the updated design but the replacement is the early design. Just last month I had a tire company put in longer stems and they put the caps back on. Woe is me for not checking their work. First drive around town lost one of the originals again. Well, now I'm looking for two caps instead of one. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bigsuetom,

I have a couple of auctions on eBay going now with the D style hubcaps that are all of the later version. Yours look to be in nice shape, so the re-chromed one would probably work best since the 2 hubcaps on the other auction need work.  The re-chromed hubcap will need the gray paint on the front and a sealer or something to protect from rust on its backside. Here are the 2 links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302111571541?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302110660173?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by lonetreesteve