IGNORED

OE stereo install 75 280z

Dave WM

Good job. Sounds like just a cold solder joint. Sometimes transistors test good but are  bad. You ever use freeze spray or heat to test?

The lighting is really bad in the video. From what i can tell, that radio looks like the ones they had in the 82-83 sentra's and it looks like a very close match to the kms2411 78z radio's i

have. I just robbed my km-1821ze for a RF transistor to go in a 240z radio. Love the interchangeablity of hitachi stuff so don't toss it if stops working completely.

You might be able to put a 77-78z faceplate on it and attach a 78 antenna switch on the side with sheetmetal screws.

I think i saw a 5 pin din on your radio too. I bought a cable on ebay that allows me to use a 3.5mm jack for an iphone or mp3 player.

IMG_2762 (2).jpg

IMG_2765 (2).jpg

IMG_2766 (2).jpg

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

looks exactly like that one. I don't have a face plate for it. The pwr ant switch I have was installed on driver side of the center console, I am guessing when ever the orig radio was replaced it was tossed and the switched moved, the existing after market face place has the tuning and volume on opposite sides of the orig.

got up this morn and same deal static, pull the top off, push down on the tuner board, pop on then is good. Could be a bad transistor I will try shooting some cold spray at it. Prob is going to be access, I don't think I can test it with the tuner out in the open to where I can id the exact problem (that's assuming I can get it apart to that level). If I do I can tell you I will have to be all in and remove a lot of wires (jumpers, pin harness) that are all over the place. I can get to main PCB (not tuner) and amp PCB pretty easy, going deeper will be challenging.

oh one question, does your radio have a push on, push off like mine or is it turn right to turn on?

I am going to try and long term burn in will have to find a power supply so I don't have to worry about my bench battery.

Edited by Dave WM

7 hours ago, hr369 said:

I bought a cable on ebay that allows me to use a 3.5mm jack for an iphone or mp3 player.

IMG_2765 (2).jpg

Questions for an audiophile. :D  

Is there a way for me to put a 3.5 plug on an OE 240Z radio?  What is the red with blue stripe, the ground?  I see the fuse on the power and the speaker wire so all that's left would be ground, right?  I know how to turn one on/off and the volume knob makes it louder but not much else. :(

Thanks for any help.

Here's what the back looks like;

DSC01520.JPG

On 7/25/2016 at 4:02 AM, siteunseen said:

Questions for an audiophile. :D  

Is there a way for me to put a 3.5 plug on an OE 240Z radio?  What is the red with blue stripe, the ground?  I see the fuse on the power and the speaker wire so all that's left would be ground, right?  I know how to turn one on/off and the volume knob makes it louder but not much else. :(

Thanks for any help.

Here's what the back looks like;

Yes you can put an aux in on your radio.  You can hard wire it like the guy in this tutorial did. Disclaimer, i haven't done this yet so don't know if it works yet on our hitachi's

You can also use one of the universal line in units that plug into your antenna and send the signal over fm.  BUT yo're still stuck with mono with that radio you have.

ebay link fm modulator

The red with blue is the + for the dial lighting when you turn on your lights at night. The ground is the speaker wire with the stripe on it.

What model radio is that?  I've never seen one that has the red with blue tracer without  a black wire also.

link to aux tutorial

What's really slick is how some people are gutting all the electronics inside their stock radio and putting in modern electronics. The sound quality is much better.

Look at that tiny board in there.

youtube video of upgraded radio

FMR-1 Lincoln.jpg

10 hours ago, Dave WM said:

pic of the KMS 2501B

100_0825.JPG

Yep, a 78 280z faceplate should fit on that. Good price you got. Nice upgrade too with the 5 pin din and stereo instead of mono which 75 z's had. All you need now

is a faceplate and antenna switch.  This is the mount they used. Nothing fancy.

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

Edited by hr369