IGNORED

de-carbonizing E31 head

kmack

Anybody have any good ideas or tips on removing the carbon build up in the combustion chamber and ports of a head?

I'm trying to clean up my E31 head and I need to remove the carbon build up on it. I have tried a wax/grease remover (like PrepSol) which works, but it takes lots of rubbing and lots of time. Plus I can't reach very well into the tight areas. I know a screwdriver would work but I'd prefer not the scratch up the chambers. I guess I could always take it to a shop and have them dip it, but that would cost money I don't have right now. Any DYI tips or suggestions?

Try some Berkebile 2+2 Instant Gum Cutter.... it's in a red,white and blue aerosol can and it works darn good on carbs. Never tried it yet on carbon build-up in the head but it does work on build-up in carbs so it might do fairly well.....Be careful though, it will take off paint as well so be aware of where you are pointing it...:cross-eye

I'm in the same boat you are. My head looks like the lungs of a 4 pack a day smoker. So far paint thinner, alcohol, alum. wheel cleaner, various solvents do NOT work. If I don't find something relatively soon I might just have it removed when I have the machine work done.

I used a cup wire wheel in my drill motor on mine -- FANTASTIC

results in about 30 seconds. The cup wheel I used was 2" dia. then a 3/4" 'brush' got me in the corners and the ports. Run the wire wheel all over the outside of the head as well - makes it look like it's nickel plated!!

- Jeff