IGNORED

Ignition Switch (Alignment?) Issue

CDL1542

I have had this ongoing problem for some time now. Basically the lock cylinder works great, the ignition switch (when not hooked up to the cylinder) works great, but when the ignition switch (with arrows pointing towards each other [ >< ] ) is screwed into the body of the rest of it, I find that I really have to crank the key over multiple times and only get it to crank every dozen tries. I'm assuming that the metal piece that actuates the switch is out of alignment or bent.

Not sure if this is a common issue, but I'm getting tired of taking the steering column apart and would appreciate some words of advice!

Chris

If you mean that you turn the key to Start and nothing happens until the 3rd or 4th try, I've had that problem.  You can twist the actuating rod (the flat rod that connects the key to the electrical switch) to get earlier action out of it.  Just grab each end with a pair of pliers on each, and bend it in a twisting motion.

9 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Chris - as I recall, it is the key protruding through the lock component that engages with the ignition component.  I think your ignition component is worn and ready for a replacement.

The ignition switch is a new one and the rest of the cylinder (including the lock work fine)

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

If you mean that you turn the key to Start and nothing happens until the 3rd or 4th try, I've had that problem.  You can twist the actuating rod (the flat rod that connects the key to the electrical switch) to get earlier action out of it.  Just grab each end with a pair of pliers on each, and bend it in a twisting motion.

That's exactly what it is then, it has gotten progressively worse through use. I think that this should work, I wasn't sure if there was another way to adjust it so I thought I'd see if anyone had the same issue before I went at it. I'll give it a shot tonight and see where it gets me and report back.

On 4/1/2016 at 11:26 PM, Zed Head said:

Zed Head, hit the nail right on the head with it! Put the key in, turned it all the way over and then just simply took a pair of pliers and torqued the rod just a couple degrees further over. Works amazingly well now! Thanks a ton!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 11:56 PM, Zed Head said:

Nice.  Some engineer out there probably cut his tolerances too close to the edge.  Could be you and I got some +, +'s or -,-'s.  We got a bad stack.

It's funny how simple of a solution it is with these issues. The most difficult things seem to have the easiest solutions.