IGNORED

Need Help W/ Sr20det Conversion!!!!

rpm-vp

IM currently a proud owner of a 71 240z ! I WANT TO DO A MOTOR SWAP AND THROW IN A SR20 DET MTR. i have never done this conversion b4 and am wondering for thoughs who have done it , can you please tell me specs such as how hard , parts , labor, ect. STARTING OFF W/ MOTOR (complete)-TRANNY & ECU

thanks

tim

yes i have but i dont want to go that rout. i pick up the sr20 motors for real cheap and concidering that i just finished building my 69 chevelle i will be able to sleep good at night knowing that im getting good gas milage in my daily driver 240z

• 1 month later...

SR20DE motor's are awsome... but practically...

not a great idea.... it will take lots of custom fabrication to go from huge motor mounts which holds an inline 6 to hold an 4 cylinder....

also you have to mount the engine in the right place or your driving is gonna be really wack.. you need custom axels, somehow fit the transmission, get a new guage cluster.. ohh soo much.

Also you have to.... have to!... get an SR20DET from an Silva (S13/S14/S15) or.... you can get an SR20DET engine from an GTiR or BlueBird or even an Avenir and get an (S13/S14/S15) transmission.

*only since ALL SR20DET engines are AWD but they have diff. trannies.. but for a RWD configuration, the engine needs to be layed out differently.

it's alot of work, it'll take alot of money..... but for a stock pump out of 205HP... and you can tune it up really quick and still get good MPG.... it's all up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

There are at least 4 different SR20 blocks.

The AWD RNN14 GTiR SR20DET is completely different in head & block layout to the RWD engines used in the S13/S14/S15 & the FWD engine used in the atmo N14 chassis. And these engines are all different to the AWD turbo engine used in the U12 & U13 Bluebird.

It is not practical to fit the quad throttles to the RWD SR20 due to these differences.

However, fitting an S13/S14/S15 SR20DET into a Z works as far as layout is concerned. In some cases, these engines can cause a troublesome installation due to the non-adjustable sump construction (cast aluminium).

I can confirm that there is plenty of power in a stock GTiR engine, as my sister owns one....

sr20det engines rock... i know of a few people now who are putting in a sr20det or wanting to put a sr20det into there Z's....

the only way of knowing what to do with the swap as in custom stuff, i can't see it needing a custom sump, as you would be placing it far back and will clear everything... but custo mounts and gearbox mount isn't that big of a deal, id say you can use a S13 mount and fab it a little to make it work

the main problem would be shifter location, as i'm pretty sure it will be a bit to far forward... but with the amount of room you'll have in the engine bay, you can place the engine exactly in the right spot... would be fun with it all,

guages wouldn't really be a problem, you'd just need to buy all new guages, which most people do anyway on a new tech engine swap...

converting the fuel system to efi, just need a efi pump, a surge tank and a nice fuel pump to pump the gas into the surge tank, and theres plenty of room in the back there for all of that...

a main problem would be the rear end, with it braking of old age, and not being engineering to take that sort of power, and also a LSD is neccesary, maybe fitting in a S13 rear cradle into a 240z would be the go, they great diffs, and some fab work will get it in no problems

suspension would need to be fixed up, the L6 is a big iron block with the sr20 is all alloy, and alot less weight compared to the L6./... so some custom stuff might be in order there

my mate has a sr20det 180sx, and he is pulling a 13.7 1/4, with 14psi boost, custom cooler, intake, + exhaust. thats with stock motor, thats pulling a 1250kg body, the 240z body weighs like 1000kg, so it will be a very fast car if completed

All in all, its alot of work, and alot of time and difinately alot of money, but thats the whole fun off it, Personally i would love to do it, but i love inline 6 turbos, and would go a Rb25det over the sr20det, just for personal reasons... its like why people like v8s rather than turbo's... i like my Zs with 6s

• 2 weeks later...

hi there,

I recently bought '73 240Z with track prepped chassis and also want to do this conversion. On hybridz.org I could find no solid info and there is basically no one there that has already performed this swap. Is there anybody here who can make/sell the necessary mounting and other hardware or has schematics on how to DIY?