IGNORED

Do I have to take out the glove box?

Ed

In Wick Humble's book on "How to Restore your Datsun" on page 74 he says the first thing is to remove the glove box. Is this procedure necessary to remove the dash? I already have the wire harness that goes to the engine & rear of the car out. Also the heater controls and the A/C. I think I'm almost ready to try and remove the dash when I noticed this in the book.

You don't really have to, but I would just to make it a bit easier... Hard to get them out from the front without damaging them, so if you have the heater out, you might try it from the back....

IIRC there are a couple mounting bolts up under the dash board on the kick panels that are kinda hard to see without having the box out... Been a long time since I took a dash out, so I could be wrong on that one...:ermm:

Uggh! I remember that I did remove mine before pulling the dash, but I cannot remember why. I didn't have Wick's book at the time, so I didn't do it because of his advice. I used only the FSM and Haynes manual, .....and trial and error.

Sorry I can't be of any help here.

I've pulled out two Z dashes without having to remove the glovebox, as long as you lie with your head in the footwell to look for bolts, it should all go pretty easily, however a second pair of hands in excellent when trying to take it carefull out of the car.

I have taken the glove box out before when I was replacing the clock. Talk about a pain in the a**.

I was just hoping to avoid damaging it more. I guess I'll try with out removing it first.