IGNORED

Problems leveling my 240z

Darren Mann

^ . Not quite what I was referring to Steve, but I know you were thinking the same thing. 

The dimension from the top of the strut tube to the bottom of the weld is not the critical measurement IE: Where your red line is drawn.

If you measure from the top down on the strut housing, you could have a strut where the upper part of the tube is just longer,  but the spring perch is in the same spot relative to the ground. Or different for that matter. Edit: In fact, that is the exact situation with a 240Z rear strut vs a 280Z rear strut. The actual strut housing tube on a 280Z is longer than on a 240Z. The spring perch height is different as well.

You want the measurement from the bottom of the strut up to the spring perch. That is what determines ride height. Like this:

23801958845_6ccbd02f31_z.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

The spring perch height was what I was thinking too. I wanted to post a photo, but the thread went quiet and I forgot about it.

A member here had a strut that was adapted (by previous owner) from a 280Z to work in a 240Z by welding and extra spring perch to it. That was the general conclusion. Anyway the photo shows the difference in height clearly. This would be hard to see if you rebuilt one strut at a time and didn't have them next to each other.

Here is a photo of it. The members name is Ksbeta.

post-25317-0-78466800-1450333719_thumb.j

Edited by EuroDat

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I took the car to a local body shop that couldn't find any issues to explain the problem.  He recommended shimming it up.  I placed a spacer on top of the strut insulator on the passenger side and raised it up.  This caused the driver side to rise the same distance.  I have another appointment with a frame shop but an incoming snow storm will postpone that for another day.  Thanks,

Edited by outdoorsmann

Darn, pitty they couldn't find anything. I would have thought 2-1/2" would show up easily when its up on a hoist and you can quickly compared both sides.

I keep coming back to the 280Z strut theme. You can fit the 280Z struts to a 240Z and have no problems with fitment.

I measured mine and its 305mm from the lowerst weld on the spring perch to the spindel pin. If you mesure from the top of the spring perch, its about 415mm to the spindel pin.

If they are both the same its easy to check and something to cross of the list.