IGNORED

Vehicle: Datsun 240Z (1971)

240tom

Name: Datsun 240Z (1971)

Date Added: 23 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Owner: 240tom

Short Description: I bought this car from its second owner in August 2013. It had been sitting outside since 1998. According to the person I bought this car from, it was the third 240Z titled in the State of Tennessee. He purchased it from the original owner, his college roommate, back in the early seventies. I had seen it down below his shop for a couple of years and finally got around to asking him about it, and he offered to sell it to me. My father owned a 240Z back in the early seventies and I have good memories of that car.

4175t_2.jpg

View Vehicle

Hello Dennis!

What have I NOT done!  She was a basket case, but luckily the rust damage was mostly in the panels.  I replaced the passenger rocker panel but the structure, doglegs and tunnel and subframe, were all solid.  New fenders, rear quarters, hood, hatch shelf and spare tire well, but my roof and hatch were fine.  I have a friend who is a car hobbyist and is very good at body work and painting, so he had her for about nine months on his rotissiere.  My numbers-matching engine was frozen, so I had a good mechanic here, who had actually worked on the car in her previous life and knew her well.  He sent the E88 head somewhere that he said was the best place, and he homed the cylinders and put in new pistons and replaced every bearing and seal.  I don't want to admit how much I spent!  I've tried to bring her back to her original condition, although have gone to a Pertronix ignition, an internal voltage regulator 60 amp alternator, curved mustache bar, and RT mount.  I'd also like to replace my wiper motor and blower motor (both of which are on their last legs) and upgrade the headlights.  I need to redo some of my vinyl, especially over the rear wheels where it hasn't stuck very well.  It's got all new carpet, door panels, headliner, seats, I repaired the dash and got all the instruments sorted out and working, even the clock, at least for a little while.  All my lights work.  Maybe the best thing is how great she runs and how tight the handling is.  All new rubber, bushings, struts, seals bearings (front and back).  Ztherapy carbs and rebuilt brakes all around.  Took the gas tank out and sealed it.  I miss all those evenings taking things apart, cleaning them and putting it all back together.  I guess that means it's time for another one, but I'm afraid my wife would leave me.

• Like 1

I'd also like to replace my wiper motor and blower motor (both of which are on their last legs) and upgrade the headlights.  

You'll find good information on all of those changes in a search of the forum archive.  Sounds like you brought it back nicely.  Enjoy the Z and don't rile the wife with a new project.  Best of both worlds  :)

Dennis

FWIW my wife sees my zed as "the acceptable mistress". Keeps me home and in the garage except when I'm on the road having great grins. She "accidentally" added up all my zed purchases once...only once. We never talked about it again. Cheap fun and no worries.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1