IGNORED

Smog Pump and Horn Rebuilds

Careless

Hi everyone,

So it has come to my attention that Cardone does not rebuild the smog pumps up to a suitable standard, and they are only barely useable. I can post pictures to prove this theory, but it's not a theory. It's just a fact at this point that I am now well aware of. They are absolute crap.

I would go so far as to say any of the "cast grey" looking ones you see online as rebuilds are all rebuilt by the same place, and they are all just terribly assembled and refinished. 

I have been looking into buying the necessary items for rebuilding the factory smog pump to spec, and I am wondering if this is something you guys are willing to have done for restorations.

In order to keep costs at a minimum, I will have to order various parts in bulk (as that's the only denomination they are sold in).

If the price of restoring a smog pump to factory look/style/finish with as many new parts as possible inside the unit, with a core charge, was around $300-$400 USD... is that something that classiczcars members would entertain?

Keep in mind, most smog pumps are $200 and they are just cobbled together. 

Also, since the horn gaskets and hardware are no longer available, I can offer a horn rebuilding service as well. I am having gaskets cut, and locating the hardware at a reasonable price, as well as the finishes. Not sure on what the cost of that would be yet.

Edited by Careless

I would be interested in horn kits. I could "careless" (sorry for the pun) about the smog pump. I have owned a number of 240z and don't think I have ever had one with an intact pump. I don't miss it and am not required to have it, just something else to break. So no on the pump...

• Like 1

I would be interested in horn kits. I could "careless" (sorry for the pun) about the smog pump. I have owned a number of 240z and don't think I have ever had one with an intact pump. I don't miss it and am not required to have it, just something else to break. So no on the pump...

LOL this guuuuuuuuuuuy.

yeah i hear ya on the pump, but for full resto cars that came with one, it might be an option for people that want them to work.