IGNORED

My 73 240Z

nomuken

Nice car and good job,

Just wanted to confirm that on a 1973 engine the timing tab is on the left side.. Last month i bought a L24 from a 1973 car.. (Euro spec.) Parts for datsun s30 are hard to come by here in the Netherlands also!  There was a junkyard moving to a new location and under a big pile of junk came a rusty datsun 240z from 1973.. Laying there for about 20-25 years!! The son of the owner called hard at his father: shall we take the engine and gearbox out or throw it all in the press?  Ah.. He took it out and now i bought the complete engine and gearbox!! 

Have now a warehouse build of Datsun S30 and some S130 and Z32 parts for my cars..

Mart

Thanks Mart for the confirmation. It isn't  that easy to find good parts here in Europe :-/

As for my datto, got the parts back from powdercoating :-)
wp-1450421371533-e1450421501855.jpg?w=80

And immediately began reassembling the front axle. I love the result, and in the same time I hate it. Because money and time won't let me restore every single part on the car to this stage.

wp-1450573160473.jpg?w=800

wp-1450573169090.jpg?w=800

• Like 2

Looks good!  I did those parts also about 15 years ago, sandblasted them and then zincpainted them. they still look good after many winters.. Yeah, in the summer i drive a 300zxTT as new.. and in the winter my 240z is the banana!  the dupe.. the honor to drive me trough the snow.. IT'S FUN!  "Normaly people change the tires/wheels when winter comes, i change simply cars, the 240z is Always on wintertires.. and Original high on its wheels.

I to have restored my 240z myself and it was a lot of work.. but i'm driving the beast now for 15 years and it's still going strong.

Mart.

• Like 1

IMO everyone that owns a Z should take it out for a spin in the snow. In my younger years, when it snowed, I would set my alarm for 2AM and take my 240, "Hiro", out for a joy ride on Portlands' streets.  Night shift Police pulled me over a few times and wanted to know what in the hell I was doing? After they were convinced that my driving was not compromised by any substance other than adrenaline, they cut me some slack and would just blink their lights at me to say hi. Did I mention the 70s were great in Portland?

I bought a brand new 1973 240z when I was 19 years old and drove it year round for 4 years in Ontario.

It would handle snow and ice great due to the weight distribution.

The problem was when the snow was deeper than 6 inches it turned into a toboggan.

I never wrecked it but had some off road adventures. :D

I sold it as by then the salt was destroying it and I needed a back seat.

The 70`s were a blast in Niagara also. (fade in Glory Years) B)

Sorry back to your thread ;)

Edited by Casey_z

• 3 weeks later...

Small updates as I'm doing tons of little tasks and work on the car but nothing worth taking a pic.

Replaced all wheel bearings while the suspension is apart. And replaced everything "brakes" at the rear.

wp-1451420001362-e1452260995452.jpg

wp-1451285528143-e1452261110868.jpg?w=60

Edited by nomuken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And just when I started to reinstall the front axle I found a little rust bubble in the drivers side wheel well where the engine crossmember attaches. So I decided to scrub both front wheel wells back to bare metal and cure them. 2 small rust spots on the drivers side and another one on the passenger side were welded. (Thanks Pentti)
 Then I applied some rust converter on the complete area, primered and painted it with Brantho Korrux, applied some transparent undercoating and sprayed some waxoil in the cavities of the front frame.

Front and rear axle parts are now back on the car. Still have so many little things to do before the car will be off from the jackstands. This week I'll finish the interior. Passenger bucket seat, Radio block off plate,... and I'll change the brake fluid, coolant, oil&filters,...
Next week I'll hopefully get my wheels back from painting so I'll be able to get the car on the lift and do a basic geometry

• Like 1

So after over 4 months on jackstands I managed to have most of the parts bolted back onto the car. I mounted my freshly painted rims and put it on the ground. Feels so good to see it sitting on all four tires. Need to dial in the coilovers now and do a complete geometry. For reference, the coilovers (BC Racing) are lowered all the way down at the moment. The rear is exactly where I want it to be. The front will be raised 5-10mm and I’ll have to dial out quite some camber!

20160209_171731_edited-2-1060.jpg?w=800& ">

Edited by nomuken
  • Like 1