IGNORED

Computerized data logging

TomoHawk

If you wanted to hook up your engine & sensors to a electronic or computerized data logging system, would it be possible?  Most of it is just resistance, but I'm wondering if tapping into the sensor might other the ECU to change its outputs.

I would probably be interested  in recording:

Coolant temperature (resistance)

air temperature (resistance)

AFM (resistance)

RPM (12V pulses)

fuel injectors (12V pulses)

I suppose there are some electronic data collectors all ready to use?  I would probably use the data  collection while the car is parked.

thxZ

I think that you could easily measure all of those with a scanner, some data-acquisition software and a computer.  Very common in the industrial/scientific world.  But, maybe expensive.  If you did the math you'd probably find that converting to Megasquirt, for data-logging alone, would be the way to go. The tuneable engine management would be a bonus.

• Like 1

It is do-able. I think some old Ljetronic diagnostic tools did this to some extent w/o the logging.

I also believe Innovate LM1 and other w/b models have an aux input where you can connect voltage inputs. Current to voltage and frequency to voltage sensors could be adapted to also drive this when needed.

As Zed Head suggested, going to a modern Digital stand alone sytem would be the best way.... IMHO. Megasquirt, Haltech, AEM, Autronic all make incredible systems. All have built in Data logging and all have massively more control than the Dinosaur of an Analog ECU.

The ability to tune for a modified engine and to see the results in Real Time are essential in my books. Plus you can get rid of other Archaic systems such as the AAR valve, Cold Start valve, Thermo-Time switch and dual pickup dizzy's.

BTW, you can pick up some good deals on used systems if you know what to look for. A lot of te DSM and  Japanese tuners tend to upgrade to the " latest and greatest " when it comes out. A 5 to10 year old Haltech, for example,  is still a very, very good stand alone ECU.