Differential Output Shaft Stub Question - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Differential Output Shaft Stub Question

Featured Replies

  • Author

I didn't realize that there were two different flanges that bolted to the differential output shaft for the R180.  I had only encountered the 70-73 flange that used 4 bolts to bolt to the output shaft as shown in Zcarnut part diagram.  The one that the PO installed in my 1971 is the 74+ that the flange bolts directly to the diff.  

 

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know there was a change beginning in 74.

 

 

 

2ykjcyv.jpg

So you're saying that there's a bolt head under there?

  • Author

From that diagram it would appear that way.  I didn't see it from from the angle and dirt in the area.  When I get a chance to get back under the car this weekend, if there isn't one, I'll post back, but otherwise assume I was ignorant of the different design in the 74+ versus the 70-73 that I have spent more time looking at and researching.  

There's a bolt that goes through the shaft and into the diff. You can access it through the gaps in the u-joint area.

 

Chuck

I took a couple pics tonight of some of my halfshafts. You can see how the bolt passes through.

 

post-3603-0-04534100-1441240364_thumb.jp

post-3603-0-92357200-1441240379_thumb.jp

 

 

Chuck

 

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.