IGNORED

Injector cooler and valve cover breather

Hallaian42

Hi I have 2 questions,

1. I'm doing an l28 f/i build on my 72. For dress up purposes, do i really need to have the injector cooler? At least i think thats what it is. It's the thing that looks like a turbo on the passenger side of then engine that blows air up and over the valve cover onto the intake manifold. I think it looks really ugly and i want to take it out.

2. I notice that most of the carb. engines have those valve cover breathers. Can they be used on the f/i engines as well? ...or does a hose need to be routed to the intake track. Right now i have one routed to the throttle body. Is this a good or bad idea. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

if you plan on running a 240 hood, use the cooler, it gets HOT around there. the 75-78 Z's didn't have the coolers i believe, only the ZX series. i'm working on going to carbs now on my 78, but i didn't have the blower and she never gave me a problem.

on the fuel injected engine, you have to use the valve cover breather. it meters blow by and the such back into the intake and also controls the idle speed (see that long screw right in front of where the hose goes in?) this guy got rid of all his emmisions stuff on an EFI engine http://www.worley-world.com/stripe/ one helluva car if you ask me! but, i don't know how he managed to do it. doesn't seem too hard when you think about it though, the computer isn't really reading anything other than the airflow meter and the engine temp.. the thermo time switch only tells the computer that the engine has reached "x" temperature, so it shuts off an aux. air circuit to high idle the motor when she's cold...

• 4 weeks later...

For the gas recirculation circuit, Top breather to intake filter side and lower crankcase breather to intake manifold engine side of the throttle valve. This circuit relies on the vacum balance from one side of the throttle valve to the other, to operate smoothly with the fuel management system. For ease of of maintenance and reliability, also not having to make breather bottles and blind line filters,I would just keep the existing in good condition, side benifite of keeping it is you displace all your crank case gasses in under two minutes of normal running. A good tune check for this system is, get to running temp let the RPM settle to idle, if your gas recirc system is working properly you can make the engine stumble or stop by cracking the seal on the oil filler cap.

To the injector cooler fans, they where introduced at the time when California smog law was dialing the L series engine fuel management up to the max. To maintain serviceability with the engine leaned right out heat build up was controlled by these fans and bonnet vents. If you do not need to dial your smog management in so tight, dump the fans (more weight, only good for pickups).

hope this helps

Steve

:classic: