IGNORED

71 240z on eBay (Florida)

Gav240z

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this 71 240z that was on eBay recently?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTY4WDE2MDA=/z/axoAAOSwPgxVMA7D/$_57.JPG

Many more photos here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ewdr8v6te5mcjlv/AAAc39sxZYaYM4hf7XoIr24sa?dl=0

A couple of things caught my attention.

1. Over-spray in engine bay (ad says was repainted 10-15 years back by previous owner).

2. Radiator support see here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ewdr8v6te5mcjlv/AAAc39sxZYaYM4hf7XoIr24sa?dl=0#lh:null-2015-04-08%2014.13.08.jpg

Appears to be a later 73 version with the vertical section that a rubber seal runs along between the hood and the support. I wouldn't expect to see it on a 71?

3. Looks like the rear of chassis rails has had some minor rust repairs, not uncommon given age of car and the fact that it's a very common spot on S30z's but not the neatest looking welds from what I can gather.

Other than that just looking for feedback on this car in the hopes that someone here is familiar with it or knows something about it?

Last 2 auctions the highest bidder flaked out, which makes me slightly nervous about it.

Anyone in Florida willing to look who's got experience with rust and body work?

Cheers,

From what I can see, it appears to be an early Series II car consistent with a February 71 as placarded. It includes a vertical defroster lines on the hatch glass found on the Series I. Nissan continued to use Series I parts into the Series II cars until inventory was exhausted.

The picture of the driver's door jamb shows a hole cover as was used in Zeibart undercoating. Otherwise the underneath photos are so poor as to be worthless.

The air pump and removed dealer installed AC would be valuable in a full restore.

I would simply ask for better photos of your concerned areas and ask what caused the previous buyers to back out. I have seen other auctions with ghost bidders to jack up the price getting stuck with a winning bid.

I don't think I'm qualified to do a rust inspection for you, but better photos would help.

From what I can see, it appears to be an early Series II car consistent with a February 71 as placarded. It includes a vertical defroster lines on the hatch glass found on the Series I. Nissan continued to use Series I parts into the Series II cars until inventory was exhausted.

What do you make of the radiator support panel? See this thread here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=15935.0

My 70 240z (HS30 00150) and my 72 240z (HS30 10552) both don't have the upper radiator support lip that seals the gap bonnet between the bonnet and radiator support. Presumably Nissan made this change to help with cooling, (create a high pressure area in front of radiator and low behind it).

My 73 AU Delivered 240z (which I no longer have) did have this upper lip. So I'm under the impression that it was only something that came later on in 73. I know that it's hard to compare AU vs US market cars based on years also. Have you ever seen S30z's earlier than 73 have this upper lip?

Of course the car is 40+ years old now and I can see the radiator has the 'optional' cooling shroud for the fan so perhaps due to the heat in Florida and the air con being used these changes were made to help keep the car cool? Might also explain why air-con was removed also?

The picture of the driver's door jamb shows a hole cover as was used in Zeibart undercoating. Otherwise the underneath photos are so poor as to be worthless.

I can ask for more/closer photos of rockers, dog leg sections and closer shot of rear rails. This Zeibart coating was it something dealers added as a option back in the day? It looks like the fuel tank is covered in it also. Looking at the floors it seems to have worked...

The air pump and removed dealer installed AC would be valuable in a full restore.

Funny, I'd have thought the opposite. In Australia our cars didn't have the air pump. So it's not something I'm particularly precious about. Engine bay is a lot cleaner without it. However it is part of the car so might be worth re-installing.

I would simply ask for better photos of your concerned areas and ask what caused the previous buyers to back out. I have seen other auctions with ghost bidders to jack up the price getting stuck with a winning bid.

Yeah eBay can be a funny place, I didn't bid first time around because I was a bit anxious bidding from Australia and knowing if I bought a lemon it would cost me more than just the car but shipping expenses also.

I noticed quite a few cars discussed in this section of the forum that have appeared on eBay but didn't see this car, so thought maybe people 'in the know' knew something about it and refrained from commenting on it?

I don't think I'm qualified to do a rust inspection for you, but better photos would help.

So the importer I've used (http://www.ironblockimports.com/) who helped me import a car from Ireland back to Sydney said to me that they could send someone out to look at it, but really the inspection would be no better than a standard car inspection. But it's not mechanical issues that scare me, rather botched body repairs.

So just having an enthusiast with experience looking at these cars would be a big bonus. I understand if you wouldn't feel 'qualified' to look at a car and be certain of rust etc.. But having someone who knows these cars well inspect it would be an advantage all the same and I'd be willing to pay someone a fair price for their time.

There is a possibility I'll be traveling to California for work early June, so I may be able to view it in person which is always best.

Thanks for your comments.

PS: What does HLS30A (suffix A) stand for? I thought North American delivered 240z's were HSL30-U suffix? FYI: AU market appears to be HS30-U. Is your car a European spec 240z?

Edited by Gav240z

Hi Gav,

First the A in my Vin is for Automatic Transmission. It doesn't appear on the vehicle plates, but does appear in the warranty documentation and plastic ID card.

I assume you are referring to the crown on top of the radiator support. My 12/70 Series I doesn't have one and quite frankly, I don't remember ever seeing one on a 240Z. That's not to say that it isn't a supplemental piece added with the dealer installed AC. I'd ask for a photo of that as well. Since this is apparently a second owner, he may not know as well. The illustrated parts book shows a rubber strip being added in 7/72, after this car was produced. Also the crown appears to be sheet metal, not rubber. Makes me suspect it was part of the AC installation.

I didn't realize you are in OZ this morning. I would be happy to help you out with a reasonable once over. It would help to know where in Florida it is. I'm in the middle of the state. Florida is 800+KM wide and 800+ KM high, so a round trip can be a bit difficult to do in a single day sometimes. If they are still in Sarasota, that is about a 2 hour drive.

Zeibart is an anti corrosion treatment back in the day. It was better than simple undercoating in that they sprayed a waxy coating in the inner chambers. That is why they had to drill holes to get access. Zeibart was a dealer applied product and came at significant cost due to the special wands needed to get in the nooks and crannies. Considering the tendency for early Datsuns to rust, this could be quite an asset.

As for restoration, some people want to see the correct head stamps on all the bolts before they will declare it "restored". You are correct about the radiator shroud. Some hoses have been replaced.

Let me know how I can help.

Dale Warner

Hi Gav,

First the A in my Vin is for Automatic Transmission. It doesn't appear on the vehicle plates, but does appear in the warranty documentation and plastic ID card.

I assume you are referring to the crown on top of the radiator support. My 12/70 Series I doesn't have one and quite frankly, I don't remember ever seeing one on a 240Z. That's not to say that it isn't a supplemental piece added with the dealer installed AC. I'd ask for a photo of that as well. Since this is apparently a second owner, he may not know as well. The illustrated parts book shows a rubber strip being added in 7/72, after this car was produced. Also the crown appears to be sheet metal, not rubber. Makes me suspect it was part of the AC installation.

Yes that's what I'm referring to that crown section has a rubber seal that runs along the top. I guess AC installation might be a good explanation here and sounds quite plausible.

I didn't realize you are in OZ this morning. I would be happy to help you out with a reasonable once over. It would help to know where in Florida it is. I'm in the middle of the state. Florida is 800+KM wide and 800+ KM high, so a round trip can be a bit difficult to do in a single day sometimes. If they are still in Sarasota, that is about a 2 hour drive.

Sorry I just updated my profile to reflect location after your first reply. I've actually been a member here since 2002? Maybe even earlier than that. Just busy keeping track of my own website www.viczcar.com.

I'll PM you with details regarding car location and contact no.

Zeibart is an anti corrosion treatment back in the day. It was better than simple undercoating in that they sprayed a waxy coating in the inner chambers. That is why they had to drill holes to get access. Zeibart was a dealer applied product and came at significant cost due to the special wands needed to get in the nooks and crannies. Considering the tendency for early Datsuns to rust, this could be quite an asset.

It looks like that might explain why it's so well 'preserved'.

As for restoration, some people want to see the correct head stamps on all the bolts before they will declare it "restored". You are correct about the radiator shroud. Some hoses have been replaced.

Oh I know there is definitely different levels of 'finished'.

My 7-73 has the 'rubber across the hump', a replacement could not be found during the refurbishment, just cleaned up the old one.  California would be the best place to start looking for a 'rust free' Z, one that you can see in person.

Bonzi Lon