wheee!

1976 280Z Restoration Project

looks great - nice work.

while you have the doors off, cover the inside of the skins with a soundproofing material and you will be happy with how much quieter the cabin gets. also much more solid sounding when closing.

i used a foil-backed adhesive mat for the entire floor/trans tunnel, roof, doors and hatch floor and really love the results.

I was going to sound deaden the car for sure. Also was considering the home made lizard skin to replace the asphalt mat liner from the factory.

Sent from my iPizzle ringy dingy device....

I just bought the lizard skin instead of DIY route. I used the insulating lizard skin first then the sound deadening product. Just be sure when you spray that you get enough on so it lays out smooth or even orange peelie. I may even top that with Dyno mat. The car is already much quieter sounding.

• Like 1

Manifold is all welded up and sanded... Just the polishing left now!

0c50a2522e744c283b8b2faf3d39aa8a.jpg

• Like 3

Die grinder air tool, dremel with sanding wheels, TIG welder, random orbital air sander, cutoff wheels on 5" grinder, aluminum grinder wheels, various emery cloth hand sanding, one inch strip see saw sanding around the tubes.... 50 hrs plus. So far...

Polishing is going well but frustrating to get at all the angles.... I think I need more tools...!

Managed to push the shell/frame onto the dolly today! Uphill... Ugh.

Towed it into town to the frame shop where she was immediately surrounded by the employees, ooohing and ahhhhing all over her.

Hope to have her back tomorrow afternoon. It's like my first child's, first day at school... So anxious!

Here's hoping for a good report card!

In other news, I have disassembled the front grill completely and sandblasted the years of crud and paint off of it. Not sure if I'm going to paint it or powder coat it. And what colour? The body is dark metallic green... I'm thinking black or charcoal.

Some good news this morning! Frame shop reports that the car is within factory spec for all frame dimensions and that the small damage to the lower rad support area is all cosmetic! Picking her up this afternoon. :D

Fully sandblasted and straightened the front grill components then wiped them down with Metal Prep to keep them clean until I can decide if I'm painting or powder coating. I'm thinking paint and primer. Need to do both before I reassemble it if that's the case. Right now it's just a pile of slats!

Another side project:

Adding fins to the inspection doors. Donor fins from a vented locker door.

24d91ae0b26c5e91daa0b60c8835dd42.jpg

268a6da0fc2f83a4827395ba11f22f5d.jpg

Now to cut and tack weld them!

Edited by wheee!

An old-timey speed shop might have a louver cutting machine and could just punch those in.  Or an old-timey locker manufacturing company.

Would love to find a local shop with that ability....

in the meantime.... welding it is!

Take your time and make small welds. The inspection doors are thin and they will "oil can" badly if you feed too much heat into them.

• Like 1

There is these guys, they are just over the mountains from you and hard to beat the price.

Well that's weird, the forum won't let me post a link. I'll try typing it out,

hotrodlouvers.com   or Fergie's Custom Louvers

Edited by grannyknot

There is these guys, they are just over the mountains from you and hard to beat the price.

Well that's weird, the forum won't let me post a link. I'll try typing it out,

hotrodlouvers.com or Fergie's Custom Louvers

I'm heading to the Okanagan in a couple weeks too!

i agree w/getting them punched in - should be cheap and it will look nicer with so much less work. check around the custom body shops, i'd talk to the local rice-racer kids who have their cars lowered to near dragging and tailpipes big enough to fit their heads in, they'll know where to go. it's a pretty common piece of tooling.

The cost is negligible for punching them in really... $1.50 a louver!  It boils down to location and time. If he can do it while I'm down on vacation in couple weeks, I'll punch them in instead!

I'm not afraid of welding them in, but punching would be much better.

A little work on the horns today for a change of pace...

de33db4389d33fd87aa2f33c64c93240.jpg

• Like 1