Autobahn Mirror - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Autobahn Mirror

Featured Replies

Does anyone have one of those Autobahn mirrors on any vehicle?

 

 I have a little bubble mirror on the driver's side, but it still leaves a small blind spot.

 

It most likely helps to see into the blind spots on the side, but it still seems to be getting tougher  to drive safely lately with all the vehicles out there and higher speed limits on the highways.

  • Author

No, it's not a wide mirror, or one of those  4-pane racing mirrors.  An autobahn mirror is what you'd call a blind-spot mirror that attaches to the back-side of the windscreen near the roof pillar so you can see cars as they are next to you, in a similar way to the convex "bubble" mirrors.

 

 

I couldn't find one until I posted the question, then I found a lot of information about it.  Maybe I forgot to spell Autobahn with an H.

 

 

autobahn_mirror_11.jpg

 

 

 

I have a 4-pane racing mirror, but you can't mount it in the S30 without drilling holes in the roof.  the roof is too low to see out the back with one, anyway.

AutoSport sells them I believe

I have a 4-pane racing mirror, but you can't mount it in the S30 without drilling holes in the roof.  the roof is too low to see out the back with one, anyway.

I had a 5 panel wink mirror in my 78 280Z (as well as in the 79 810) for the entire time I owned it.  Had no problem seeing out of the back window with it and it virtually eliminated any blind spots.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I just remember helping my neighbor mount a wink mirror in his Porsche 911.  It was not very easy.

 

BTW- nice avatar, Stephen.

No experience with a 911 but it mounts easily in a 1978 280Z:

post-3032-0-62225100-1423505580_thumb.jp

  • Author

Do you know how the wink mirror mounts to the roof?  The only place I can think of to attach the mounting arms is the forward headliner moulding, but the arms in the photo are angled backward.

  • Author

Suppose you wanted to have an autobahn mirror attached for driving, but wanted it removed for show.  Is there a way to do that?

 

This photo from the autobahn mirror website shows a mirror mounted on a scooter, using some type of clamp. So that could be a way to mount it to the driver's-side A-pillar.

 

cycle_mirror_on_scooter-496x372.jpg

Do you know how the wink mirror mounts to the roof?  The only place I can think of to attach the mounting arms is the forward headliner moulding, but the arms in the photo are angled backward.

The arms swivel and can mounted at various angles.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.