IGNORED

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Wiring Harness Terminals And Rubber Covers

hatepotholez

No problem. I'm sure we all know about vintageconnections but I also use this guy,

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

he deals mostly in vintage motorcycle electricals but some of them are identical to our stuff.

He also carries some unusual stuff that has come in handy for me.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I ordered from both sites. Eastern beaver saved me on the .312" male blades that I needed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My rubber boots were also hard-as-stone.  I used a heat gun (not sure if a hair dryer will get hot enough).  They stayed soft for long enough to put them on easily.  Once they're on, I'm not really concerned how hard they get.  I also made a crude-but-effective tool to remove the sender unit.  Fuel Tank Refresh

• Like 1

Your website has been very helpful to me. I purchased my tank hoses from that vwbug place in California. If you don't mind sharing, how did you handle the charging and circuit harness? I see on my harness that there was some overheating that went on, some wires look slightly black. I'm not sure if it was the starter wire that got hot and the heat passed along to the other wires. Also since tracer wire is very difficult to find(I couldnt find any white/red 10 awg) how did you mark the wires?

Thank you and everyone on this great board!!

• 1 year later...

Bump,

Can you guys clarify the purpose of the green wire on this harness? For a fuel electric fuel pump connection? I think by default it is just taped to the harness and unused? (stock 71 240z)

For whatever reason, from the stock harness only the larger connector was attached to my fuel sender. An additional wire had been run down to attach to what I believe is the negative/ground terminal of the sender. This wire snakes into the car through a grommet and through the interior of the car under the carpets to somewhere in the front (I had assumed to a ground somewhere).  Not sure why this was done, maybe the wire was faulty and that was the solution to replace it. I haven't fully traced where the wire went, but I don't plan to reuse it. The grommet it enters the car through is very close to the connector it originates from. (under the rear deck carpet in the rear passengers side section) Maybe the connector wasn't visible though because its hidden behind the rear trim panel, that could explain it.

Assuming I am using OEM fuel sender, mechanical fuel pump and oem harness I will refurbish.... the yellow and black wires from the 2 wire connector go to the two terminals on the fuel sender. (In addition to the ground screw to the frame along the way)    Green wire in my case, does nothing and just hangs out?

Edited by DaveR