IGNORED

! Shiny ! New Chrome Bumpers

siteunseen

Those do look great as everyone else has said.  For the price, I don't think they can be beat!  I just wish FF or someone else would make these with a matching set of bumper guards.  To me, the guards just belong as they add some dimension to the front styling of the car.

• Like 1

Well mystery size solved, thanks MSA, http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02n04a02h/32-1035.  They need to be 6mm carriage bolts.  MSA's a little pricey though considering I bought the 4 5/16" bolts washers and nuts from JEGs for $6.99, http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Performance-Products-83770-Chrome-Bumper-Bolt-Kit-Includes-/400656125523?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d48f74e53&vxp=mtr

i used a set of sst carriage bolts from a local seattle hardware store known for having a pretty good fastener selection - they are 1/4" and while a little loose, they did just fine. i also got a set of nylock nuts and sst fender washers to spread the load and minimize dimpling of the chrome. the chrome bolts were silly expensive, and the sst ones were .28 cents each. no brainer. 2 minutes on my polishing wheel and they rival the best chrome - and will never rust. 

i haven't finished mounting it yet - made a couple of brackets for the center section to catch the 280 bumper mount holes, next i need to (gulp) drill holes in the rear quarters to support the end pieces. i'm gonna use rubber grommets in the holes to minimize paint damage and seal the holes from fumes entering. i'll post pics when i get to that point - probably next weekend.

post-28907-0-12510500-1418091151_thumb.jpost-28907-0-66498400-1418091149_thumb.j

• Like 1

yeah, a wheel on a grinder is the way to go - get some red and white polishing rouge (red for taking the surface smooth, white for the color/shine) and there'll have no end to the fun you'll have making things shiny! suddenly the ice cream scoop, that old belt buckle, the cheese slicer all become jewelry :)

• Like 2

I did what you said and they came out good, enough for now.  Cheap arse "chinese junk rant" stainless bolts had some casting marks I couldn't get rid of but like I said they look OK for now.  

The chrome bumpers look fantastic!  Rear turned out as nice as the front after I got the bolts nice and shiny, thanks Roosiz.  

The 5/16" chrome ones from Jegs vs the right size 1/4" stainless after polishing:

post-23570-0-28738800-1418409584_thumb.j

polishing is like that - the more shine, the more flaws you discover.

if you want a real perfect finish, take out the casting marks with a fine file, then sandpaper starting with 220 and move up to 600 or 1000 then hit the polish wheel with red, then finish with white. you will get a mirror finish if you want.

• 1 year later...

@rossiz @siteunseen  

Got my rear bumpers, but my carriage bolts are missing.  What did guys end up using? The jegs? the MSA?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02n04a02h/32-1035

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Performance-Products-83770-Chrome-Bumper-Bolt-Kit-Includes-/400656125523?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d48f74e53&vxp=mtr

Need something as my old ones twisted off try to remove them from my old bumper... Wish I had just left it untouched and in one piece but I had to try and be cheap. Sigh

Thanks

edit:  Nvm, seems you guys sourced local SS versions and buffed them up, I will look into doing that.  

Edited by DaveR