IGNORED

Fuel Pump Wiring Harness ?s

71Nissan240Z

Enjoy,, my infamous electric fuel pump how-to...mine was done on a '72.  Please note that some people also put in a fuel pump kill switch around where the inertia switch is to act as a theft protector...only can drive about a block or two before the fuel bowls run dry.

http://jarvas240z.blogspot.com/2013/01/electric-fuel-pump-installation.html

FP_Wiring2_SML.jpg

FuelPumpSchematic_v2.JPG

Please note that some people also put in a fuel pump kill switch around where the inertia switch is to act as a theft protector...only can drive about a block or two before the fuel bowls run dry.

My '72 came to me with one keyed under the steering column. Of course I didn't have any idea what it was, and discovered its purpose the hard way when I turned it by accident and couldn't get out of the driveway the next day. That was a long frustrating 12 hours (no joke) of trial and error until I finally figured it out.  :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Did you end up getting power to that plug?  

I just found this wiring harness yesterday in my '72 and am working on an alternate wiring than the example Jarvo2 gives.  I'm almost done with my L28 build and have been contemplating how to wire in a Holley Blue for my triple Mikunis.

I may be completely off here but it would seem that you could jump together the white/black wire and the green wire (in the harness behind the fuze box) and be sending ignition +12V to the rear pump location.  Sure, you'd be bypassing an oil pressure shut-off switch, but you'd be supplying said power to green factory FP wire.

I may be completely off here but it would seem that you could jump together the white/black wire and the green wire (in the harness behind the fuze box) and be sending ignition +12V to the rear pump location.  Sure, you'd be bypassing an oil pressure shut-off switch, but you'd be supplying said power to green factory FP wire.

This is what I did on my '71.  Just make a small jumper to go from one side of the T Plug to the other.  That will get you running.  Then you can get a relay and wire in the oil pressure switch.

Marty, thank you for the confirmation on that, although I'm completely undecided on running the relay.

I stongly recommend that you use a relay and wire in the oil pressure switch.  You really don't want the fuel pump to keep running if the engine quits, due to an accident or anything else.

I wired mine up like Jarvo2's diagram.  It was not that hard to do, and I suck at wiring.

Good luck!

Marty

• 1 year later...

Question: How many minutes or seconds should the electric fuel pump be left in accesory before cranking the engine? If it is left on accesory for more than 30 seconds could it fail or become dirty and not pump the same pressure of fuel as when it was new?? I have an airtex 8012s installed and it seems it is no longer pushing the same pressure as even though the fuel filter looks full the car has lost power and it is backfiring at the carbs intake.

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8012S-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000DT7Y7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1456071096&sr=1-1&keywords=airtex+8012s+fuel+pump

It shouldn't matter, the fuel pump is on all the time when the engine is running anyway.  Plus, on a 240Z, the fuel pump wouldn't normally run on the Accessory circuit.

If you're unsure abut fuel pressure you should measure it with a gauge.  How much fuel is in the clear filter doesn't tell you anything.