IGNORED

'78 280z fuel filler hose nightmare

philbu

Hi All,

I need a fuel filler hose for a '78 280 Z. I'm stuck on a rack at a garage and mechanic can't find one. Mechanic says the one he did find was a year off, '77, '79, who knows, says he can't remember. He said it was 1/4 inch shy of making a good connection (!?)

I can't get smogged (CA) without one. I tried buying the only one that looked like it would fit from ebay, but the seller said it was sold a long time ago <grrr>. There is one more at ebay, but even though seller says it's for '77-'78 here, it doesn't look right compared to mine (attached). It looks more like pics i've seen for earlier 280Z's. A '78 hose has some weird bends in it.

I emailed MSA (out of stock, but running it by them anyway). I've hunted online, but no luck.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks much

phil

post-26978-14150830194471_thumb.jpg

post-26978-14150830193724_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, Courtesy Nissan's parts website says 17208-N4700 is NLA. You'll have to go with some aftermarket or used part source.

yeah, i figured it's not in stock anywhere, haven't seen/heard of any aftermarket option, so far no luck in the used department, been calling all over, MSA, Bonzai, zcarsource, local yards...

If you think it's possible to bend around a straight piece of generic hose, you can find just about any size of fuel-rated hose at Hampton Rubber (Hampton Rubber Company, Inc. - Welcome). They don't ordinarily do mail order, but if you ask them nicely, they'll take an order over the phone and ship it to you. I believe any USCG rated marine grade hose is suitable for fuel, and I've bought such hoses as large as 3" in dia. They come even larger than that! Anyway, give them a call, and ask what they can do for you.

If you think it's possible to bend around a straight piece of generic hose, you can find just about any size of fuel-rated hose at Hampton Rubber (Hampton Rubber Company, Inc. - Welcome). They don't ordinarily do mail order, but if you ask them nicely, they'll take an order over the phone and ship it to you. I believe any USCG rated marine grade hose is suitable for fuel, and I've bought such hoses as large as 3" in dia. They come even larger than that! Anyway, give them a call, and ask what they can do for you.

thnx, FW, i'll look into this, but no, i don't know much about bending fuel rated hose. Like if it's pliable enough to make the specific bends shown in my pics. if i find out they're bendable, i'll check hampton rubber, there may also be a marine shop in my area (coastal).

Edited by philbu

Well, if you don't find it in the SF area, we do build a few boats around here. If you can imagine it being used to construct an aircraft carrier, we've probably got it. LOL

FAIW, the marine-grade hoses can be surprisingly flexible, but I don't know whether they'd be flexible ENOUGH. One thing is for certain: They won't kink when you bend them. They'll either flex far enough, or they won't.

You might also be able to accomplish the bends with metal fittings connected by segments of hose. Dunno...

ha, VA, bet you build lots of boats there ; ). yup, "flexible enough" was the phrase mechanic used, but if i'd had to, i'd have ferreted one out somewhere between Bodega Bay and Sausalito. but, i got lucky. someone saw my plight on a forum, reached out, and i got the part. where would we be without the great Z communities out there?

Glad you got the right part!

FAIW, when I pulled my tank, I found my filler hose to be in extraordinarily good condition -- pliable, shiny -- probably similar in appearance to yours, except that it had no leakage issues. When I cleaned it up, it appeared new, except for the impressions of the clamps. It appeared to be made of some high-tech rubber, perhaps nitrile. I'm curious: How did yours fail? Did it suffer a rip? Did it crack?

seems odd to me. there are no rips or cracks. there are 2 very small diameter, widely separated, holes, almost like a finishing nail was driven through it. i do know that beginning a few months ago i occasionally smelled gas after filling up or when i turned a corner hard. smell disappeared quickly, however, so i made a mental note and filed it. i'm curious how holes develop in what seems to be a pretty formidable piece of rubber.